Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 23, 2017

Re: QC35 mic picking up background noise

Tony_G - is there any update on this from your engineering team?

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 5, 2017

It does seem like a MAJOR flaw.   We're buying for our call center and bought 3 different headsets for trial.

Only the Bose picks up the chatter from neighbouring agents, and blasts (amplifies) it into the call!    What's surprising is that when we asked (in another posting) Bose said it worked great, no problems, and encouraged us to try them.  What a waste of time!   These are not suitable for a call center (or any noisy environment) as a phone handset replacement.

When agents were NOT in a call, the music quality and sound cancellation was excellent.  But Bose should really not be selling these for use as call headsets (with making clear this serious defect)....

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 15, 2017

Exactly, the mic is way off mouth and even facing wrong direction, so it is pretty much picking up just reflections of talkers voice, that are mostly at the same level as all background noise around. There is not much, that can be done about it. I have to stand with Bose here, but of course, they should have noted in product description, that this headset is NOT suitable for making calls in noisy environment.

I learned that the hard way. I always enjoyed noise cancellation so much, that I came up with an idea to use it as a call headset in noisy office instead of cheap original one, that was not comfortable at all and I wasn't able to hear a crap through all the buzz in office. But when I dialed in, everyone in call started to complain about someone picking up  too much noise through out the call. Later I realized, that this certain someone was me and it was over.

But not for much longer, there were too many benefits of using it in call. It was way too pleasant for me, so I was looking for solution. And that is proper external mic of very low sensitivity placed right next to mouth. And I found one!
Boom-Microphone-Cable-For-OE2-OE2i-QC25-QC35-SoundTrue-2-5mm-With-Volume-Control
This is the solution, so far I have positive experience, works as expected and it's not expensive. Sad thing is, that you have to give-up Bluetooth while using this, even more, that my office desk phone has Bluetooth and works great with QC-35... Too bad, but at least it's usable now.

And now you Bose, hear my suggestion! You should add another connector for external mic and design your own boom microphone sold as optional equipment so the user can attach it and make flawless calls or detach it and use internal one as needed while enjoying wireless mode all the time!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 14, 2017

Still nothing on this?

It seems the issue is that the amplified noise is played in our ears, that is not necessary. 

If I'm at a coffee shop it's like I have a spying device, I can hear someone chewing their food 20 feet away.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 14, 2017

I too am having this issue across multiple devices. It's particularly bad when I'm typing while on the phone as all of the keyboard sounds are amplified. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 26, 2017

Same here, this is really weird.

But this only happens when I connect to my Dell laptop, it's working fine with my Android and iPhone. So I think it might be the problem with the Windows 10 driver.

Really hope Bose can be aware of this problem and fix it.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 26, 2017

I am having the same problem. I was listening to a song on YouTube, and my mom was on calling on her phone when I could hear her phone call a little. I could her background noises clearly and my YouTube song was debugged as if I couldn’t hear it well at all. It sounded fuzzy and I also heard a beep every time I started the video again. My Spotify music has no problem though.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 31, 2017

im i the only one who thinks hearing your surrounding super amplified is super cool? like some spy stuff 😛 that will be a amazing update

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 27, 2017

@Al_vl yes, I believe you are the only one

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 8, 2018

SAME Experience HERE

- in a reasonably noisy open floor office, the background noise is picked up and is louder than QC35 user's voice to the hearer.

- in a closed office or quiet environment, the voice of QC35 user is heard loud and clear.

I am amazed that it has been a year and there is still no soulution to this problem. Looks like a failed design.

I only wish I had read this forum trail before buying - I read a lot of reviews, but none of them has picked this up.