Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 26, 2017

QC35 mic picking up background noise

Hi there,

I just upgraded my ~5 year old pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones and got the new QC35s. They work great except when I'm using them for a call when paired to my iphone. The mics pick up all the background noise and I can hear it all as if it's amplified - typing on my keyboard, people walking around the office, closing a door, etc. My old pair just had the one inline mic on the cord and I never had any issues with this. How can I resolve this? Is there any way to turn down the sensitivity of the mics? It's nearly impossible to concentrate while using the headphones on the phone.

I just updated to the latest firmware, which I was hoping would help the situation, but it didn't. 

Thanks

117 REPLIES 117
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Re: QC35 mic picking up background noise

Hi Mjaugenstern,

Thanks for the post. Could you pair it to another mobile device to check if you are experiencing similar issues? 

Let us know

Mohsin

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 26, 2017

I just tried with another iphone and had the same problem. All ambient noises get amplified.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hey mjaugenstern,

Thanks for the update. As you cannot control the sensitivity of the microphone, we have a similar post addressing this which you can find here.

Hope that helps

Mohsin

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 30, 2017

I am having the exact same issue. When using my headphones in a coffee shop recently with some low background music playing in the cafe I had a hard time talking with co workers when calls came in. All they heard was loud music playing in the background and had a hard time hearing me even though there was no one sitting next to me. Please fix this with an update if possible. It's almost impossible to accept phone calls in a public setting with these headphones!

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 30, 2017

To add to this. I've tried this on multiple devices. Originally my laptop connected via bluetooth and also connected to my iphone 6 with the latest IOS

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 26, 2017

That other thread does not have a real solution. I'm guessing we should not rely on a firmware update to fix this? Being able to make phonecalls on the headphones was a key reason I purchased them in the first place, and they are unusuable for that purpose. Despite how much I like the other aspects of the headphones, they're simply not worth anywhere near full price to me. Is the best way to return them as defective to email/call Bose directly?

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi mjaugenstern,

Unfortunate to hear about your experience with this so far. To clarify, the microphones are placed outside the ear cup by design. While we have not heard of sounds being super amplified during calls, we do appreciate the feedback and we will bring this up to our development team.

If you are looking to reach out to your local Bose support, the best way would be by clicking here to retrieve contact info. 

Thanks,

Mohsin

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 30, 2017

Mohsin,

Thanks for the reply. I think we both understand where the mic is located it's just super sensative and picks up sounds from father away to the point that the person you are on the phone with can only hear the sounds around you and not the person they are talkign with. This even occurs in rather quiet environments where external sounds are at a minimum. Please please have the development team figure out a way to change the sensitivity of the microphone for future firmware updates. The phone capability of this headset is pretty much unusable unless you are totally in a quiet space. For the price of this device I expected more.....

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 6, 2017

This issue infuriates me!!!