Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 26, 2017

QC35 noise canceling problem

I just got a pair of QC 35 headphones and when I was walking home listing to music on my smart phone and I could still hear traffic sound.When I got home I was trying them while I had my tv on and blocked out some of the sound any advice 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: QC35 noise canceling problem

Author Accepted Answer selected by bob322

Hi bob322

@bob322 wrote:

I just got a pair of QC 35 headphones and when I was walking home listing to music on my smart phone and I could still hear traffic sound.When I got home I was trying them while I had my tv on and blocked out some of the sound any advice 

Safety first!

If the sounds that you are hearing are horns, sirens or the ordinary sounds of moving vehicles, being aware of those sounds and reacting appropriately may save your life.

Try turning on the fan in your kitchen or bathroom. Listen to the sound of the fan, then put on your QC35.  Can you hear the difference? Now turn on the power.

Try the same experiment with a vacuum cleaner or a clothes washer or dryer.

These are good ways to figure out what the Noise Canceling feature is doing for you.

Enjoy your QC35 for many years to come.

ST

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Jan 23, 2017

So, let me get this straight. You are walking presumably down the sidewalk with some kind of a display device [laptop, tablet, etc] watching TV, and you were still able to hear some background traffic sounds?

I'm not going to dig into the safety concerns of walking around traffic blind to the world, but the Noise Canceling will only cut out so much. If you are talking about inner city traffic, the ability to cut it down to a dull roar is a major accomplishment. You can't expect ANC to provide total silence. I don't know what the actual spec is, but the ANC can probably only provide a 20 to 25 db drop. From there, the music volume starts kicking in.

The best you can do is make sure you have the ear cups fully sealed for a best possible barrier.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jan 24, 2017

ANC works by recording the sounds around you then inverting the frequency and playing that back, the result is the 2 cancel each other out so as to effectively block the noise. This works extremely well for low frequency noises which are relatively constant such as background ambient noise, engine hums and drones etc. This doesn't work as well for higher frequency noises such as voices, car horns etc ANC will tend to muffle those noises rather than cancel. You'll never get complete noise isolation but it should certainly be reduced significantly.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Author Accepted Answer selected by bob322

Hi bob322

@bob322 wrote:

Safety first!

If the sounds that you are hearing are horns, sirens or the ordinary sounds of moving vehicles, being aware of those sounds and reacting appropriately may save your life.

Try turning on the fan in your kitchen or bathroom. Listen to the sound of the fan, then put on your QC35.  Can you hear the difference? Now turn on the power.

Try the same experiment with a vacuum cleaner or a clothes washer or dryer.

These are good ways to figure out what the Noise Canceling feature is doing for you.

Enjoy your QC35 for many years to come.

ST

View solution in original post