afkaraoglu
Participant
Registered since

Jul 20, 2017

QC35 volume sync

My QC35 sometimes goes out of sync with my macbook's volume - they both have independent volume settings from each other. Is there a way to make this behavior persistent somehow? When the headphones aren't paired with the laptop, the sound quality is awesome, volume is higher than when it is synced, and I can use my Boom2 equalizer without causing any distortion.

When the headphone's volume is synced with the macbook, the sound quality sucks (getting constant distortion on high bass), and the max volume is really low. I didn't have any problem with my $30 in-ear wireless skullcandy earpods. Comparing the quality of this $30 skullcandy with $350 QC35, I am totally disappointed. Please at least update the firmware and give us the flexibility to unsync the volume, so we can enjoy using our $350 investment.

3 REPLIES 3
Shiloh_C
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Aug 25, 2017

Re: QC35 volume sync

Hi afkaraoglu!

Thanks for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear about the audio issue.  I think we should try clearing the Bluetooth pairing list on the QC35s.  To do this you slide the power button all the way to the right towards the Bluetooth symbol and hold for 10 seconds, you will hear a notification saying "device list cleared".  Then at that point "forget" the headphones from your MacBook's pairing list and reconnect the two.  Also, thank you for your suggestion for the firmware update, I will pass that along to the team.

Let me know if this helps?

Thanks!

Shiloh_C

afkaraoglu
Participant
Registered since

Jul 20, 2017

Well, I did this but it is still the same. Honestly, I don't understand how it will fix the volume syncing issue. Basically your suggestion is bringing everything to a state where Macbook and headphones doesn't know each other - which was exactly the same state when I purchased the headphones.

Anyways, after doing your suggestion, the volume of the headphone is synced with MacBook's volume. As being a software engineer, I am sure it is at most 10 lines of code to disable this nonsense volume syncing, but I also just understood how Bose values it's customers. This probably is my last Bose product. I wish I had returned these headphones when while I still can.

Shiloh_C
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Aug 25, 2017

Hey afkaraoglu,

Thank you for trying that step for me. Sometimes clearing the pairing list will repair the issue if it is due to a software glitch so I wanted to rule that out.  It sounds like the headphones are connecting to your computer's HFP and not A2DP which is causing the audio quality.

I have a few articles that I've found on this issue for you to take a look at.  The first here is a Reddit thread which describes the aforementioned issue.  The second article has some steps that you can try out.

In the meantime, I would recommend rebooting your Mac.  Can I ask - what Os version are you running on your Macbook?  For troubleshooting purposes, could you try testing the headphones out with another device?  I would like to also rule out the possibility of the issue coming from the QC35s.  

Come back and give me an update when you get a chance.

Enjoy your day,

Shiloh_C