Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Madmatt
Participant
Registered since

Aug 11, 2017

QC35 white noise/hiss

Ok so my qc35 just under 2 months old and developed the White Noise/hiss fault. I have tried doing a reset and I've upgraded to the latest firmware with no avail so my question is where do I stand with replacement/refund. Sorry if this has already be covered.

Thanks Matt

21 REPLIES 21
Malagar
Participant
Registered since

Aug 9, 2017

Re: QC35 white noise/hiss

Hey Matt

I wanted to give my input to this. Are you sure the static hiss has increased? After studying the subjet myself and also tested a lot of different ANC headphones over the last week, I can say that in bose qc35 a low hiss is normal. It's unfortunately a side product of today's ANC tech and presumably there's not a lot that can be done to that with todays hardware on this price range. The hiss should be hearable I quiet environment where not playing anything and even in times when there's pause or break in the music/audio. Based on my tests, the hiss in bose qc35 is very low compared to many competitors. Of course if you have noticed a strengthening of the hiss during the past months, it may indicate some technical fault unless the connected devices are causing some increasing interference.
TheJoeBold
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 13, 2017

Also, as i have the hiss noise as well in quiet enviornments, the new Firmware 1.3.2 should help, as it allows to lower or even turn off the ANC. Can't test it myself though, as I have no means to run the Connect app on Windows 10.

Bald, Bold, Bearded
Madmatt
Participant
Registered since

Aug 11, 2017

Well when I first got mine they never had any kind of hiss or white noise of any kind that I could tell of. 

I don't see how you can advertise something as noise cancelling and then say that due to the technology there may be a slight hiss as it certainly didn't say this in any of these advertising literature that I read! The fact that they've now added the ability to be able to turn off the noise cancelling in the software for these headphones tells me they know there's a problem and they're just trying to fix it with a plaster. Rather than admit the product is inherently flawed. This is the first time I've bought any of Bose is products and I can quite honestly say it will definitely be the last

I find it quite interesting that no one from bose has bothered to reply to this post either to advise me how to continue.

TheJoeBold
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 13, 2017

Having used several ANC headphones, from cheap up to military grade, i can tell you that the Bose ANC technology used in the QC35 is very close to military grade (wich has no white noise at all; Peltor comes to mind). It is however not quite fair, military grade "ANC" technology is filtering differently and makes sure conversations and gunfire around you is processed to keep 3d awareness of where the sound came from and at the same time cancel everything else out

I strongly believe that you might have been unlucky and your headphone might be defective. You might want to have it checked by bose. The products are expensive enough for consumer hardware; they need to be in proper working order.
Bald, Bold, Bearded
ST - Hearphones
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hi Matt ( @Madmatt )

Thanks for joining the community and writing in. I'm sorry you're having a problem with you QC35.

It sounds like this is a new development for you. Since you've done the QC35 reboot without improvement, I thnk it's time to call Bose Support. You can follow this link to Bose product support for your area.

Click your country, then scroll down until you see local contact information. I would call.

On that same page, scroll to the bottom and click Policies. Look for the Bose product limited warranty. You can find the warranty for your region.

Please come back and tell us how it goes when you contact Bose.

Thanks,

ST

Bhonder
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 10, 2017

I noticed that the hiss on my QC35s is louder on bluetooth connection than in wired mode.

Is there something I can check?

Shiloh_C
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Aug 25, 2017

Hi Bhonder,

Thanks for joining the conversation.  Interesting that the hissing gets louder when connected via Bluetooth.  I'm wondering if you can try pairing the headphones with a different device and see if the issue is consistent across several devices? 

Another troubleshooting step you can take is performing a reset of the headphones, I have included the steps for this below:

1. Turn the headset off and wait for 30 seconds.
  2. Plug the headset into a USB power supply via USB cord and wait 5 seconds. (Power supply needs to be plugged into the wall with power on).
  3. Unplug USB cord from headset and wait 1 minute.
  4. Turn on the headset and test if the headset works properly.

Let me know how it goes?

Thanks,

Shiloh_C

Bhonder
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 10, 2017

@Shiloh_C

Hello Shiloh,

I tried and it's more or less the same: a little hiss, which becomes a little bit louder with bluetooth. I tried to pair my wife's S8+ too, just to see if bluetooth 5.0 makes some difference.

I tried to reset the headphones and clear the list of connection (via the power button) between the two tests.

Just to clarify: it's just a little hiss, which i tought to be normal if it wasn't that i browsed the forum. Maybe it's just because we are 47 and some noise it's justified.

Shiloh_C
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Aug 25, 2017

Hey Bhonder,

Thanks for the response!  Thanks for all of the troubleshooting that you have done, that's really great.  To clarify, the hissing stayed the same while connected to the S8+ as well?  Where the reset did not help improve the hissing I would recommend reaching out to customer support here, select your country and scroll down to where you see "contact us".  

Let me know how it goes?

Shiloh_C