sklaffke
Participant
Registered since

Nov 6, 2017

QC35 with Skype / Skype for Business and macOS (bluetooth)

Hi,

I have some very strange sound issues using the microphone and the speakers of QC35 for Skype calls on my Macbook (MacOS Sierra). In case the Bose microphone is used it sounds as if the sound would be routed through 

an old fixed-line phone (machine sounds, poor speech quality) .There is a lot of background noise and for the first few moments I can hear myself as well.

I can confirm that  when I bought the headphones everything worked like charm.

My current workaround in order to execute calls via Skype is ( thanks to the posts in this forum):

Disable QC35 microphone, instead use MAC microphone and QC35 as speaker

I would like to get the original setting back to work. I wonder why it once worked perfectly and since a few weeks I have such kind of issues. Any ideas?

Thanks and kind regards,

Stefan

8 REPLIES 8
sklaffke
Participant
Registered since

Nov 6, 2017

Re: QC35 with Skype / Skype for Business and macOS (bluetooth)

Does anyone have the same issue?

I appreciate every tip.

Thanks,

Stefan

Shiloh_C
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Aug 25, 2017

Hey Stefan!

Thanks for reaching out to the community.  I'd like to ask if you could test the headphones paired with a cell phone on a regular phone call and see if the mic quality has degraded there as well?  This will help show us if the issue is on the end of the QC35s or within Skype settings.

If the quality is poor on a phone call then I'd suggest reaching out to customer support here to see what your available options are for exchanging your headphones.  If the call audio is good then I am including a link here to Skype's support page where they can assist you further. 

Please, keep me updated?

I hope this helps and have a wonderful day!

Shiloh_C 

sklaffke
Participant
Registered since

Nov 6, 2017

Hey Shiloh_C

many thanks for replying.

As suggested I have tried to use the headphones to start a regular call via my iPhone.

I can confirm that the quality of the microphone and speaker is very good.

Hence - as supposed - the combination of usage of Skype (Skype for Business) and my Mac could be the reason for the poor sound quality. I helped myself to set up Skype as follows:

Microphone: internal mic of Mac

Speaker: Bose QC 35

Ringtone: Bose QC 35 

No interfeing noise anymore when using this setting.

The question is what happened on Apple / Microsoft side during the past months (maybe changes in the bluetooth drivers)? As I mentioned originally I also could use my Bose headhone as speaker for the microphone.

Thanks for your support and wishing you a happy new year

All the best

Stefan 

jwp147
Participant
Registered since

Mar 19, 2018

I'm running MacOs Sierra and have the same problem with Skype. My QC35 bluetooth work great with my iPhone but I have background noise issues with Skype. The noise is very loud and Skype indicates there's an issue. I disconnect the bluetooth and my internal speakers/mic work fine. I can reconnect and sometimes it works with some background noise(sounds like a jackhammer). I'm pleased with the headphones other than when using Skype. 

Any recommended solutions ?

Shiloh_C
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Aug 25, 2017

Hi there jwp147,

Thank you for joining the conversation!  That sounds like a Skype-specific issue so I'd recommend reaching out to their support team, you can use this link.  

Have a great day and take care,

Shiloh 

Kingsmen
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 31, 2017

I cannot say wether this is a Bose, Skype or an Apple issue, but here's my two cents:

I did some experimenting and the codec changes depending on which mic you select in the Skype settings.

If I take a look at the bluetooth-info for my QC35 (Alt+Bluetooth menu) I see the following:

- With the QC35 mic selected, the codec chages to SCO - really bad audio.

- With the Mac's built-in mic or the mic on my external Apple display selected, the codec changes to AAC - hence better audio.

sklaffke
Participant
Registered since

Nov 6, 2017

Thank you very much for the post and your investigations.

The changing codec  could be the reason for my sound issues.

I wonder why it changes to SCO when selecting QC35 MIC.

Kingsmen
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 31, 2017

It would be nice to know if this behavior is a bug or a not?

Is it possible to force the headset to AAC?