Highlighted
robmcdowell
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 20, 2019

QC35II bluetooth popping (with Win10 tablet)

Good morning,

I am having trouble with my new QC 35 II headphones and my work-provided Windows 10 tablet.  Specifically, when I connect to the tablet via Bluetooth the sound is fine for a few minutes but then begins to pop and stutter.  This happens from any audio source (streaming, local, etc) and does not go away.  The only way I can get it to correct itself is to either unpair the headset / re-pair it, or turn off the tablet's bluetooth and then turn it on again.  Either of these fix the problem but it always comes back in a few minutes.

I have tried different pairs of (cheaper) bluetooth headphones and I do not have this issue.  And if I use a wired connection the QC 35 II also have no problems.  The QC 35 II do not have any playback problems on any of my other devices (Android phone, android tablet, iPod via bluetooth, etc) so it is something specific to the combination of this tablet and this type of headphone.

I have tried 3 pairs of QC 35 II and they all have the exact same issue, regardless of which firmware they were running.  My options for updating the computer are limited, as it is a work computer which is pretty 'locked down'.  I am wondering if anyone has had a similar problem, and if so, how did they resolve it?

Best,

Rob

6 REPLIES 6

Re: QC35II bluetooth popping (with Win10 tablet)

Hello @robmcdowell,

Thanks for reaching out to us, and welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you've had directly between your headphones and this tablet/computer, and would be happy to try and help here!

Looking at your issue here, there could be a number of things that could be causing this, and you have already had a look at a few of these by trying cable connections and other firmware versions.

Can I ask that you try the following troubleshooting to try and address this please?

1) Clear the Bluetooth list on your work device and on the headphones. This can be done by selecting "Forget this device" from your work device, and by holding the Switch on the Bluetooth icon for 10 seconds on the headphones until "Bluetooth device list Cleared" is heard through the headphones. Then try and pair again and see if you're having the same issues.

2) Failing the above, can you try and check that there would be nothing interfering with or interrupting the Bluetooth signal? This could be something physical (Such as distance to the device, or by being physically blocked by something like a cabinet or wall) or wave-based interference. (e.g. A radio, Router or other transmitter next to or in-between the headphones and work device)

If you've tried the above and are still having issues, please get back to me so I can assist further!

Liam_W - Community Support

robmcdowell
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 20, 2019

Hi Liam,

After I remove the item from Windows and then re-add it (clearing on both ends) the problem went away, but it came back after an hour or so.  And this happens whether I am with the computer at my office or my home, which have no equipment / layout in common except the PC and the headphones themselves.  So I'm at a loss.

Thanks,

Rob

robmcdowell
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 20, 2019

Actually, I also just tried turning bluetooth off and on again (on my PC) rather than a full re-pairing, and it seems to have fixed it again, although we will see how long it lasts.

That's a semi-acceptable workaround, if I only have to do it once every hour or so.

Best,

R

Hello Rob,

Thanks for getting back in touch!

I'm glad you have a solution (At least for now!). If this does start happening again, please don't hesitate to get back in touch so we can continue to help.

Warm Regards,

Liam_W

robmcdowell
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 20, 2019

Actually, it started happening again after a few minutes but I have some new info for you:

It started again, and on a whim I checked my other devices (I use these headphones with my work PC, my Android phone, my Android tablet, an old iPod, etc.  They were also connected to my Android tablet at the moment, (I think they default to the last two devices that they connected to) and I used the tablet settings to disconnect from the headphones - The popping immediately stopped! The audio quality on the PC is perfect again.

I will leave them connected to only the PC for a couple of days, and see if that makes a difference.  I am wondering if, while I am listening to PC music, a notification or something will chime and attempt to take control of the headphones but Windows is not releasing them properly, or similar.  Hopefully that's all it is, because then I can simply manually connect to whatever sources I am interested in at the moment.

Wish me luck, I will post here in a while once it either stays fixed, or starts again.

R

robmcdowell
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 20, 2019

I've confirmed the problem.  The headphones don't like being connected to both my Android phone and my Windows 10 computer at the same time.  Something happens when my phone gets notifications, and the popping starts.  If I disconnect the phone, the popping goes away and the audio on the computer is flawless.

I think there is a problem where the two devices are struggling for control of the headphones and they start glitching.  I'm fine now though, since it's a simple matter to tell my phone to disconnect from the headset.

Thanks,

Rob