Highlighted
ekosheren
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 12, 2018

Re: QC35ii Bluetooth Audio delay

Hi Shiloh,

Thanks for the heads-up on a new firmware version.  I'll give it a try tonight and will report back my findings here.

Highlighted
ekosheren
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 12, 2018

Hi Shiloh,

I updated the firmware to version 2.5.1, but I saw the same results in the iOS YouTube app.  However, things are not what they seem...

All my *testing* had been on the YouTube iOS app, which I watch the most.  I happened to try the iOS Podcasts app and watched a video podcast.  Well, to my amazement, the latency was virtually non-existant!  I then tried a few other apps, and got these results:

Tested on Apple iPad Pro 10.5:

• YouTube app = same lag as before
  • Podcast app (watching video) = little to no lag
  • YouTube in Safari browser = little to no lag
  • Netflix app = little to no lag
  • Amazon Prime Video app = little to no lag
  • Sky Go app = little to no lag
  • Masterclass in Safari browser = little to no lag
  • GTA 3 app (ancient game, but I don't game much on iPad) = same lag as before

So... it looks like the possibilities are:

• The QC35 II have very little lag but performs worse in YouTube iOS app, meaning something amiss with that app.
  • The QC35 II have a lot of lag, but most of the iOS apps and the browser somehow compensates for the lag, except for the YouTube iOS app and games.  This still means something amiss with that app and games in particular.

I tried pairing with my Windows 10 PC, but my Bluetooth adaptor there is ancient and the audio kept dropping out.  I've just purchased a BT 4.0 USB adapter on Amazon, so will see how that goes.

So, I'm pretty happy with the results, in that I can still watch YouTube in Safari (though it is not as nice an interface and doesn't go full-screen) and all the other video apps seem to work just fine.  I'd love to hear from other owners, especially those watching video on devices other than iOS devices, to see what your mileage is on these.  If you do watch video on iOS, do you also get the same results as I do?

Cheers!

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Aug 25, 2017

Hey there,

Thank you kindly for your detailed response!  I appreciate all of the work that you put into your testing.

That's excellent to hear, I'm glad that the update helped with the lag.  Should this issue worsen or return please reach out.

How's everyone in the community liking the update?

Take care and enjoy your day!

Shiloh 

Highlighted
fryeguy44
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 8, 2018

I have a noticeable lag in every Bose Bluetooth appliance I own. OC 35, QC 30, and the Bose battery amplified speaker S??? III.

The firmware update for the QC 30 mentioned in this thread did not noticeably help with the video/audio lag. I have other bluetooth non-Bose appliances, like a JBL headphone set, that have little to no lag on all the same sources.

The Bose are great for listening to music without video. If you want to use a Bose for watching any kind of video, streaming DVD Blueray or otherwise, forget it. There is no acceptable fix yet.

The audio delay can be as short as 200 ms, but it can get as bad as 500 ms. It makes no sense.

Highlighted
ekosheren
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 12, 2018

I agree with you 100%.  After getting a new Bluetooth 4.0 dongle for Windows 10, just to see if that makes any difference, the latency on Windows 10 audio is in the region of 200ms or more indeed.  It seems that, on the iOS tests I did in my previous posts, iOS itself is doing some sort of audio delaying to compensate, whereas it does not do this in Windows for my QC 35 II.  I'll try this on my MacBook Air soon too, just to compare.

As you mentioned, I cannot also recommend the current Bose QC 35 II for anything other than music, unless you are using them on iOS (that's the only system I tried that worked well, with the caveats I mentioned).  For video, it has way too high latency compared to rival products.  I've had numerous wired Bose headphones and loved them, but in the wireless world I think I'll be searching for something less laggy for my video watching, especially on Windows.

Highlighted
ShipstonDan
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 9, 2018

I've followed this thread with interest.

I've got a pair of Free SoundSport Bluetooth headphones that suffer from the same audio to video lag.

This is when paired with my Pixel 2.

I've just updated the firmware in the hope that this would resolve the issue, but no such luck.  This seems to be on all video streaming services.

Highlighted
ShipstonDan
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 9, 2018

Further testing has revealed that the same is true with a locally held video as well, so it's not a streaming issue.

Highlighted
maxnuk
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

I have the QC35 and I have no problem of delay. Even with bluetooth 2.0 or 4.0 dongle. (Tested Windows 10/android/iphone)

Thanks,
Marcel M.
Highlighted
ekosheren
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 12, 2018

Yes, it occurs for me for any video on Windows at least, streamed from YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video or local video files.  The delay is noticeable.  After much further research, this seems to be just the way the technology is with these types of codecs - there is always latency.  Some Bluetooth headphones behave better than others, and for me the BeatsX are still the ones I use for all video watching, consigning my QC35 II to music only.

If you try iOS (iPhone or iPad), you will notice that the latency is much lower in certain apps, like I mentioned in an earlier post.  The native YouTube app has masses of lag, but watching YouTube in Safari (an Apple app) has little to no lag - iOS seems to be detecting the lag and delaying the video playback to compensate compared to the audio track.  It doesn't mean the headphones have no lag, it's just that the audio is played earlier than the video to somehow make it feel much less laggy.

Highlighted
DaRho
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 28, 2018

Just wanted to comment that I am also experiencing a noticeable delay with my Bose QC35 II headphones, when using BT connection with my PC over a BT dongle (just changed a PC complatelty from an outdated hi-end rig to a very current hi-end rig and the issue still remains, so I would rule out the PC-related issue).

The delay is around 166 ms as indicated by one of the YouTtube AUDIO-VIDEO sync videos posted earlier.

The firmware I'm using is 2.5.1 (latest for the moment) and BT dongle is ASUS USB-BT400 BT 4.0.

I must admit I'm a bit dissapointed as gaming is of course not an option with these, but also movie watching is a bit annoying (will investigate the video-delay options, but still - that is a workaround rather than solution).

I checked with my Logitech H800 using BT connection to the same PC and BT dongle and delay was between 0 and 40 ms. Definately not noticeable.

I'd definately expect a better technology from product of a company like Bose.

I do hope Bose finds a solution for that issue soon.