Highlighted
cmcmorrow
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 3, 2019

QUIETCOMFORT® 20 - Hellp! Still hearing Loud Talking Guy that sits behind me very clearly.

I bought these noise cancelling wired headphones (QUIETCOMFORT® 20 ACOUSTIC NOISE CANCELLING® HEADPHONES— APPLE® DEVICES) specifically to block out some noisy talkers in my work area.

I am noticing that with the active noise cancelling switched on, all the ambient noise is very low, but I still hear him *very* clearly. He's quieter, but because everything else is quiet too now, it's still very intrusive. 

Aren't these supposed to muffle voices better than this? 

I think I am using the correct size of earbuds. I had the medium size in at first, but they were a little painful, so I sized down to Small. I think these ones fit me well, but the noise cancelling doesn't seem that great. 

Any ideas?

1 REPLY 1

Re: QUIETCOMFORT® 20 - Hellp! Still hearing Loud Talking Guy that sits behind me very clearly.

Hi cmcmorrow,

That's a great question.  ANC is most effective in environments with lots of low-frequency "droning" type sounds (Examples: Buses, air-conditioning, airplane engine noise, etc).  We find that the noise cancellation effect may not be quite as effective on "transient" or "sharper" sounds in some environments. (Examples: The human voice, quick loud noises, babies crying, etc.) 

We do not make any claims to cancel 100% of sound because it is difficult to establish one number that is valid for different environments and situations. QuietComfort 20 headphones compare very favorably to other noise reduction headphones and reduce unwanted noise to a level that is noticeably more comfortable when compared to the same situation without using the headphones. 

However, if you feel like your headset isn't working properly, I would recommend contacting your local support team for assistance. Here is a link you can use. Click on your region, scroll down until you see "Contact Us."

Regards,

Tony G - Community Support