eberg
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 23, 2019

QUIETCOMFORT® 35 II squeal while lying on a pillow

Sometimes (not always) when I wear my QUIETCOMFORT® 35 II headphones to bed and lie on my side, the compressed ear cup speaker squeals piercingly loudly. It's easily quieted by rolling my head and this is only an annoyance before falling asleep. But when it awakens me, it's a problem. I'm not so much looking for a solution* as for an explanation. Why does it do that?

*A solution is to stack two pillows in a terraced fashion so that the crown of my head supports most of my head's weight on the top pillow, taking pressure off my neck and ears which are in contact with the bottom pillow.

I'm an obligate side sleeper. Sleeping prone or supine doesn't work for me. I'm also "addicted" to the Headspace app's sleep modules, which I recommend to others who suffer from insomnia. Headwpace works every time.

4 REPLIES 4
Chrscool8
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 24, 2019

Re: QUIETCOMFORT® 35 II squeal while lying on a pillow

Do you have noise cancelling on? I believe that when the outer mic that listens for world noise is covered, it incorrectly compensates with bad white noise inside, which is not a very pleasant sound.

Highlighted
jason101
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Mar 11, 2019

I get that too, I thought it was feedback caused whe the microphone comes too close to the speaker because ot the compression of the ear against the pillow.

Hi, eberg.

Thanks for your question, and welcome to the community. 

The squealing sound is caused by a feedback loop which occurs when the pillow is blocking the ports on the headphones' earcups. I'm sorry to hear that it's disturbing your sleep. I find it much easier to sleep on my side too and can sympathize with your situation. Disabling noise cancelling should stop this from happening. I hope you're in a position where this is possible.

Best regards,

Patrick A - Community Support

jason101
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Mar 11, 2019

Turning off noice cancellation defeats the point of using them to help you sleep by blocking out noise.