lorc
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 13, 2018

Quality issues with QC 30 (had two pairs and both are broken)

I want to discuss quality of QC30 headphones. I own (or, better to say - owned) two pairs and I had problems with both of them.

My first pair was bought abroad and I absolutelly loved them. I weared them every day for at least two hours, I was happy about noise canceling, especially in load places, like underground transport. But then silicone lining started to peel of plastic base. It appeared, that this lining is bit larger than plasic part, so it just peeled off and refused to stick back, because there was noticeable gap. Headphones began to look scarry, but this didn't impaired functionality at all, so I was generally okay with that. It happened on eighth month after purchase. Then, couple of months later they just died. They ceased to power on and blinked with red light, when I tried to charge them. I've seen couple of posts about this dreaded red light on this forum. That happened about 1 years and 1 moths after I bought them, so no more warranty. Okay...

During silicone peeling phase, I bought second pair of QC30 for my wife. From local dealer, this time. With warranty of course. QC30 are good and I decided that my first pair was unlucky or maybe it was from the first batches. So, I hoped, that my wife will not experience the same problems, as I had. And indeed, no silicone peeling this time. But after 6 months of very moderate use my wife noticed noise in the left ear. Then it almost stopped to working. I must say that my wife used them only occasionally and with greater care that I used my own pair. So I was shocked to see problem with her headphones. I brought this pair back to dealer and asked for warranty replace. They checked headphones and said, that although they look okay on the outside (they said "there is no mechanical damage visible") some internal wiring is damaged. An this is a mechanical damage and it is not covered by warranty, so they can't replace headphones.

I want to repeat this: moderate usage, no external damage, some problem inside and this is not covered by warranty.

So, to sum this up. I had two pairs, they had different mechanical problems. One broke right after end of warranty period, another broke during warranty, but can't be replaced. Either I'm extremely unlucky, or there is something wrong with QC30 and Bose support.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Quality issues with QC 30 (had two pairs and both are broken)

Hi lorc

Thank you for reaching out to us on the Community!  Sorry to hear you have had some troubles with the headphones, but would be happy to help!

I'm going to reach out to you via PM to see if we can try and resolve the problems you're experiencing.

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

lorc
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 13, 2018

So, today I at least get my second headphones back from dealer. Earlier they called me, describing what is going with my headphones. Today I took them back along with the official answer.

bose-response.jpg

For  those who can't read Ukrainian (most of the world, I guess Smiley Happy ), it says:

"blah-blah-blah Bose QC 30 with SN xxxxxx blah-blah-blah 03 Sept 2018 blah-blah, expert evaluation discovered that:

- There are clicks and noises in left ear when you bend headphones

- Invalid use or mechanical influence caused internal mechanical damage to the cable

- All other electrical and acoustic components are working fine

Due to waranty terms, waranty does not cover any mechanical damage that happened after buyer received goods"

Out of curiosity I dissasembled my other QC30 and found that mentioned "cable" (it connects left and right halves) is actually not bunch of wires, but ordinary flat PCB flex cable. This type of cable flexes only in one direction and generally is not suitable for moving parts. I don't know why Bose engineers decided to use such connection method in a place, which bends in all directions. For me it looks like engineering mistake and this explains why headphones broke so easilly. 

lorc
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 13, 2018

By the way, this is how silicon lining comes apart:

bose-peel.jpg

This is my first QC30. You can see glue residue there. It dosn't helped a lot. As you can see, silicone part  is much bigger than plastic counterpart. I don't know how they were connected at factory, but you arrapently can't repeat this at home. Basically, there is no way to repair this headphones. They can't be assembled back, if you took them apart.