Mk1990
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 7, 2017

Question about the QC35 materials

Hey 🙂 so i realy want to buy the qc35 but as a vegan i dont want to buy any product that supports animal cruelty.

So my question is regarding the materials used in building this model.
I want to know if the leather that is used in this model is real leather or a synthetic one (not real)?

One bose site it says its a "synthetic leather protein" but im not sure what it means. Is it real leather or not?

Thanks alot!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tony_G
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Re: Question about the QC35 materials

Author Accepted Answer selected by Mk1990

Hi

You are correct when you say "By definition, protein leather means that it is an artificial leather and not derived from animals. It is basically a fabric or finish intended to look and feel like leather. So to answer your question directly, no animals were harmed creating our products" I was able to confirm this. 

Thanks for everyone's help

Tony

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Mutnat
Mentor
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

@Mk1990 wow I thought this was going to be something easy to figure out with a little Googling, but it's proving a bit muddy.

The pads on the QC25 are apparently made up of 80% rayon and 20% nylon, which makes them vegan friendly.  I'm not sure about the "synthetic protein leather" on the QC35's though.  Is it it same?  There's some confusion online about protein leather.  Some think it's just "pleather", which is made with petroleum byproducts like PVC plastic and/or polyurethane. And then others seem to come along and say that no, actual protein leather is was invented in Japan for automotive use, and is made using eggshell power as a protein.  I'm far from an expert on being Vegan, but I would think something sourced from egg[shell]s would probably disqualify it as begin vegan, right?  

@Tony_G @ST - Hearphones are you able to provide any more details on whehter or not any animal-sourced products are used in the manufacturing of the QC35 ear pads?  Please and thank you!

*** Please Note: I do not work for Bose; please don't private message me your support questions!
Pilou42
Advocate
Registered since

Jul 19, 2017

Amusing. People ask for better firmwares, better hardware, I did not expect this request. 🙂

Google should relieve you: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gws_rd=cr&q=synthetic+leather+protein

No, it's not real leather on headset, or else we could expect double price.

But I guess you'll want an official answer so I let admins reassure you.

Mutnat
Mentor
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

@Pilou42 yeah it's pretty clear that it's synthetic leather rather than real.  It's the "protein" part that brings in the vegan ambiguity.  If they're just calling it protein leather for marketing purposes, it might be fine.  But if it's really protein leather, than it might contain protein from eggshell powder, which--correct me if I'm wrong here anybody!--would not be vegan friendly since it's from an animal byproduct.  "Note that while eggs are vegetarian, they are certainly, under no circumstances, considered vegan."

*** Please Note: I do not work for Bose; please don't private message me your support questions!
Mk1990
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 7, 2017

Thanks for the link but ive done my research on the "synthetic protein leather" term but ive not reached to any conclusion because some companies use fully synthetic materiala and some use eggshell protein and call it "synthetic" the truth is that the egg industry is responsible for millions of male chicks who get grind up alive in the egg industry.
Mk1990
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 7, 2017

I think i need an official answer for that because you can never know for sure with this terms.
Ive contact bose tech support but they gave me this answer that dosent realy answer my question :
"Thanks for the inquiry. We're very pleased to know that you've taken our headphones into consideration for your use. I'd be glad to look into this for you.

The ear cushion materials for the QuietComfort 35 and QuietComfort 35 II are made of protein leather.

Hope this information helps and enjoy shopping."

Just want to KNOW if its REAL protein or fully SYNTHETIC one???

🙂
Tony_G
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi Mk1990,

Thanks for posting. That is an excellent question. I will find out an answer for you as soon as possible and post what I find here.

Thanks

Tony

Mk1990
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 7, 2017

So bose technical support just emailed me back and wrote:
"By definition, protein leather means that it is an artificial leather and not derived from animals. It is basically a fabric or finish intended to look and feel like leather. So to answer your question directly, no animals were harmed creating our products."

So im realy happy, it very important for me the buy cruelty free products, im glade bose didnt use any animal material for this model and i hope they will keep up this way 🙂
Thanks everybody for the great help and intrest.
Mutnat
Mentor
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

@Mk1990 great news!  Thanks for following up too 🙂

Tony_G
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by Mk1990

Hi

You are correct when you say "By definition, protein leather means that it is an artificial leather and not derived from animals. It is basically a fabric or finish intended to look and feel like leather. So to answer your question directly, no animals were harmed creating our products" I was able to confirm this. 

Thanks for everyone's help

Tony

View solution in original post