Road
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 22, 2018

Quiet comfort 35

I have a set of original QC35 headphones, and about a month ago they just started turning themselves  on, and connecting to my iPad and iPhone, basically killing the battery on all the devices. Even if I disconnect, and shut the headphones off, they immediately turn themselves back on. 

I thought even if they were connected after 20 minutes of no signal, they would power off, or go to sleep, which they are not doing. 

‘I’ve  had them for about 30 months with no issues until the past month.

any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: Quiet comfort 35

You have stumbled/now experienced the biggest single issue and topic here.  Probably hundreds if not thousands perhaps of affected products - who knows? 🙂   The good news is it has been well documented here and Bose is (supposedly) actively testing products with these symptoms to determine the exact cause.  The belief here is one of two things or both.  Either (1) it is the way Bose has implimented Bluetooth Low Emission (BLE) in the firmware.  Even when the QC35 is off, it is still emmitting a signal presumably (which you test for with any free BLE finding app on your phone) and if it finds another device (paired or unpaired, yours or someone else - though we are not sure which will cause the problem), it turns itself on.  Some of the other Bose devices, like the Revolve also turn themselves on and I have a Soundsport Wired which has turned itself on (but not very often).  I now have a QC35ii and when it is off it does not put out a BLE signal and has never turned itself on OR (2) some think and one recent post suggests it is a faulty on/off switch.

So the good news is it is being addressed, the problem is not specific to your QC35, and eventually there will be some sort of solution we hope from Bose.  BTW, I do not work for Bose.  Now comes the bad news.  First - we have no idea how long this will take though there are betas supposedly going on with the Revolve which I have read in a different group here that supposedly fix the Revolve's turning on so I am hopeful to see either admission of a hardware error or a new version of the firmware during the next few months.  Secondly - there really is no effective long term workaround.  The only thing you can do is keep the QC35 charging when you are not using it.  When I had the QC35, I tried various things which I thought would be a workaround - some others here have also tried - but the longest I was able to stop it from turning on was three weeks.  Third - you can try your luck with the Bose phone people.  They will have you go through various troubleshooting steps and if you make it through all their 'hoops' and tell them / insist your issue is not unique and that you are part of a larger class of similar owners, then Bose will do one of two things even though you are out of warrantee - they told me in that case they will offer you a free upgrade/exchange to a QC35 ii.   Or others report the best they get is an offer for a discount for a QC35ii replacement.  If you get that, you may decide to try again and escalate to a supervisor which may or may get you a different result.  I have not read of any consistency in this situation.

Just be aware that that exchange/upgrade will come with its own risk.  As you have read elsewhere in posts here, there are those who claim a recent upgrade of the QC35ii firmware has significantly reduced the quality of Auto Noise Cancellation (ANC).  And so you may not be as satisfied with the ANC on the QC35ii as you were with the QC35i.

Hi Road,

Thanks for reaching out to the community. The best thing to do would be to contact your local support team for assistance. Here is a link you can use. Click on your region, scroll down until you see "Contact Us."

Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

ron_r
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 17, 2019

I have Quiet Comfort 35 i and like others, just recently the green light stays on after switching off the headphones.  Or, sometimes the green light goes off only to come back on by itself sometime later.  I have updated to firmware 2.5.5 which is the latest, but unfortunately no improvement.

Anything else I can try ?

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

No.  There is no workaround (other than keeping it charging all the time when you are not using it).  You are really left with only three options as I described above.

1. Live with it (not recommended) or sell it

2. Fix it yourself with the instructions in the very long 56 screen post below

3. Get Bose to exchange it for you.  Be persistent and keep at it for a free exchange.  DO NOT pay for an exchange.  It is not your problem.