Highlighted
Tapper69
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 23, 2019

QuietComfort 2 versus QC35 on airplane

Hi. I have the QuietComfort 2 headphones and wonder if anybody knows if the QC35 is any better at canceling engine noise on an airplane? On my flights between Barcelona & Los Angeles my QC2 headphones would not supply sufficient volume to overcome the engine noise when watching a movie on my iPad. Do the QC35 have essentially the same noise-canceling tech as the QC2 and thus the QC35 wouldn't solve my problem?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: QuietComfort 2 versus QC35 on airplane

Hi Tapper69,

Bose doesn’t make claims about percentage reduction because it is difficult to establish one number that is valid for different environments and situations. QuietComfort 35 headphones II compare very favorably to other noise reduction headphones and reduce unwanted noise to a level that is noticeably more comfortable when compared to the same situation without using the headphones. We encourage consumers to try it for themselves in a variety of situations, both with and without an external audio source. That being said, we have heard reports from customers that the QC35 II does a good job at filtering out airplane noises.

Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

2unlimited
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 24, 2019

Not being able to control a level of the ANC on QC35 v1 is something to be considered. Meanwhile, I can confirm that QC35 II does a really good job on leveling out a wind noise while riding a bike (on low level ANC, while on high lvl it picks up a lot of wind). I'm not sure how the first version deals with this, but the ability to make a choice for sure gives a big advantage over the first gen, especially when the price is very similar. 

Tapper69
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 23, 2019

So the QC2 noise reduction efficacy is the same as the QC35? If not, how much better?

2unlimited
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 24, 2019

As mentioned above, on QC2 you can choose between ANC High/Low/Off. On QC1 there's no such option. I found it very usefull on QC2 because Low mode cancels out all wind noise, for example when you're riding a bike. I never compared directly the efficiency of the ANC per se, but just because you can choose more ambient scenarios on v2, I'd go for it over the v1.

Tapper69
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 23, 2019

Thanks for pointing that out but it appears you think I am comparing the QC35 series 1 and 2. I'm not. I'm wishing for a comparison between my old QC2 (circa 2006) and QC35 Series II (2019) which I have not tried. 

Tapper69
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 23, 2019

Since Bose can't make a simple statement like the QC2 (2006) noise canceling efficiency is generally twice as good as that in the QC35 (2019), I'll assume the noise cancelling in the latter is not significantly improved and thus I won't buy them.