Highlighted
anthonyverlingo
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 9, 2017

QuietComfort (QC) 35 Noise Cancelling Not "World-Class"

Hello, 

I recently purchased the QC 35 headphones and was immediately disappointed with the noise cancellation technology. I have downloaded the app, updated the firmware and have gone through various means of troubleshooting. I do notice there is a small difference when I use the app to turn on and off the noise cancellation. When the noise cancellation is "off" I notice there is a muffled sound from the external enviroment. When in "low" or "high" cancellation I notice the muffled noise decreases, however even on "low" and "high" I can still hear distant fans, AC and even the television (on low) in the background. I also notice no difference between the "low" and "high" noise cancelling options. I have played around with these in various environments and have not found it to optimally work. I have a friend with a pair of Bose headphones that work perfectly. I do not wear glasses and I have tiny ears that allow the headphone coushins to fully seal each ear. I am considering returing these if I cannot solve the issue soon. Please let me know if you have anything I could try to fix this before I return them. These headphones were purchased for noise cancellation with air travel in mind and I read many reviews that said these were the best option of all the competitors.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
anthonyverlingo
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 9, 2017

Re: QuietComfort (QC) 35 Noise Cancelling Not "World-Class"

Author Accepted Answer selected by anthonyverlingo
After exchanging them for a new pair the problem has been resolved. There was an issue with the ANC on my old pair. I had my new pair on while vacuuming, portable AC running and fans going all without hearing any background noise. Bose really made some quality equiptment and I'm happy to have a properly working pair of headphones!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
powerslave
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 13, 2017

There's nothing wrong with them,that's what you get.
They don't really cancel out voices completly,ANC doesn't really do that.
I've tried them on a plane and was pleasantly surprised.
The low setting gets rid of wind noise you will hear with them on high.
Ian
Highlighted
mitheshge
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 9, 2017

Hi Anthonyverlingo,

ANC definitely works. Few things to check the quality/effectiveness of your ANC. 

1. Connect to Bose Connect App, Upgrade your firmware to the latest one. Play a song. While the song is being played, change the ANC to low, and high. You will immediately feel the difference.

2. If you still think that your ANC is not upto the mark, check your ear cushions. Are they deformed(in a slightly different shape?) Sometimes that affect it too.

When the noise cancellation is "off" I notice there is a muffled sound from the external enviroment

Yes. When your ANC is off, the sound will be muffled. It is not a problem.

When in "low" or "high" cancellation I notice the muffled noise decreases, however even on "low" and "high" I can still hear distant fans, AC and even the television (on low) in the background.

Yes. You will definitely hear around 30% of background noise for sure. It is not completely Sound proof.

I also notice no difference between the "low" and "high" noise cancelling options. I have played around with these in various environments and have not found it to optimally work. I have a friend with a pair of Bose headphones that work perfectly.

Your friends headphones may be same. But which phone/laptop are you and your friend using? Also, what music quality are you listening to ? If you use budget phone and a 128kbps mp3 file? then you will not get the desired sound quality. use a high quality music - 256Kbps and more(from itunes, spotify etc for good quality sound. 

Do check the both headphones with the same device not on different devices. If you still feel your friends headphones sound better, take both headphones to the Bose service to get it checked.

I do not wear glasses and I have tiny ears that allow the headphone coushins to fully seal each ear. I am considering returing these if I cannot solve the issue soon.

Yes. You can get it checked with Bose service if you aren't able to solve this.

Please let me know if you have anything I could try to fix this before I return them. These headphones were purchased for noise cancellation with air travel in mind and I read many reviews that said these were the best option of all the competitors.

SLide the power button for 10sec to clear the bluetooth device list. Also, remove and add your device again and check once.

Remember that noise cancellation is not equal to 100% sound proof. You will hear atleast 20-30% of outside noise. And also it is good for you to hear some of the noise outside especially when in traffic and even in airplane. Because with the headphones on, someone calls you, or touches you lightly, you jerk very badly that you will feel embarrassed later. Smiley LOL 

And yes this is the best option of all the competitors. If you are still not satisfied after all the checks, if you still have issues, then i think there is some issue with the Headphones. you can get it checked.kindly do visit a Bose service center.

anthonyverlingo
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 9, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by anthonyverlingo
After exchanging them for a new pair the problem has been resolved. There was an issue with the ANC on my old pair. I had my new pair on while vacuuming, portable AC running and fans going all without hearing any background noise. Bose really made some quality equiptment and I'm happy to have a properly working pair of headphones!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
xpereta
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 29, 2017

Beware, if the ANC works in your new pair do not uptade the firmware or use the Bose app (it will update the firmware without automatically).

Newer versions of the firmware changed the ANC in 2 of my QC 35 to a level that was nearly non-existant as you described in your first pair. Once updated to the version with the weak ANC the good ANC can't be restored, not even reverting to a previous version of the firmware.

Highlighted
szefte
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 10, 2017

"Newer versions of the firmware changed the ANC in 2 of my QC 35 to a level that was nearly non-existant as you described in your first pair."

- I have the same problem. Emailed Bose in september but have not heard back.