Re: Soundsport Free doesn't match as an headset on Windows 10
I just sent the following email to Bose, I'll update here with what they respond with.
I recently got the SoundSport Free headphones for Christmas, and am running into some issues when trying to connect them to my Surface Book running Windows 10. My laptop is currently running Windows 10 version 1709 (also known as the Fall Creators Update).
When I first connect my SSFs to the computer, they will show as connected for Sound and Voice. Going into Playback Devices confirms that both the Hands-Free and Stereo devices are connected and set as default. However, as soon as any audio plays, whether it be system sounds such as notifications, music, or otherwise, the Stereo device will show as disconnected under Playback devices, and sound will then come out of the computer speakers. Looking at the Bluetooth device list, the SSFs will only show as being connected for voice.
Once this happens, the only way to get them to connect for audio again is to put them in the case, close all applications that play sound, and then take them out of the case to reconnect. This does not solve the issue though, and they will continue to disconnected any time a sound is played.
There have been multiple threads on the Bose support forums regarding this issue, such as:
I have tried everything listed on those pages as solutions, but none of them worked. Furthermore, I have also tried manually adjusting the Bluetooth services, such as disabling HandsFree Telephony so it only connected using A2DP, but the Stereo device would still disconnect when sound was played.
In my Bluetooth settings, I have "Allow Bluetooth devices to find this PC" enabled, as I read that might cause issues if it wasn't.
I also would like the point out that I called Bose Technical Support twice, and both representatives dismissed the issue as something that Microsoft would have to resolve, without much troubleshooting done at all. I know this is not an issue on Microsoft's end, as other Bluetooth headphones that I've had never experienced this kind of issue. I was also told to ensure that my computer was up to date, which it was. I also confirmed that the SSFs were up to date through the website with the Bose Updater.
Screenshots of how the device connected can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/1E0AM
I can't say I'm not a little disappointed with how this situation is being handled on Bose's end at the moment. According to moderators on the forums and technicians over the phone, a pair of $300 headphones have a glaring issue with the most popular operating system, and blame is being shifted away from them. Due to this, there hasn't been any word of a fix in the form of a software update or at least at acknowledgement that this is an actual bug.
If there is any further troubleshooting that I could perform to get more information for you, I would be more than happy to do it.