Highlighted
anthoj
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 2, 2017

Share Audio from MacOS (Macbook Pro) with two (or more) Bluetooth Devices

Hi Everyone,

I have been enjoying Bose's Music Share via my iPhone app and I was wondering if there was such an app for my computer as well. As it turns out there is a built-in solution for those of you using MacOS. It should work for all MacOS and any recent Mac (I am using a Mid-2014 Macbook Pro on MacOS 10.12.4 Sierra). This solution enables you to simultaenously output to at least 2 different  bluetooth headphones so you may enjoy any media separately but together, just like the Music Share feature.

I know I'm not the only one wondering if this is possible, so I hope this can help those of you out there looking to do this.

Here's a link to Apple's official support page: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000. The only difference is that you have to select "Create Multi-Output Device" instead of "Create Aggegrate Device" - with the aggegrate I couldn't get sound to properly work because it was detecting a multi channel set up like a 5.1 so different channels was outputted to different headphones if watching a movie with surround audio.

Here are the steps I took:

1. Connect both headphones via bluetooth. Both should say connected on the Bluetooth setting page.

2. In Finder menu hit Go -> Utilities -> Audio Midi Setup

3. You should see both your headphones listed on the left here.

4. Hit the "+" button at the bottom left and select "Create Multi-Output Device" (You may rename the device if you wish)

5. Select your bose headphones from the list on the right to add to the Multi-Output Device.

6. Right-click on the Multi-Output Device you just created and use device for sound output and play alerts and sound through this device.

7. You may also select which device as your master device to sync across all your connected headphones. 

8. I also selected Drift Correction for slave devices - I'm not 100% sure what this does but I think it makes sure that your devices stay in sync to the audio/video playing on your computer.

9. Watch away. Note that you won't be able to adjust ouput volume from Macbook any more, instead volume is adjusted individually at each headphone, which is pretty neat.

Note: If you cannot get both headphones to connect at the same time (I had this problem), add each headphone on a single bluetooth connection to your Multi-Output Device on step 5. After that they should both be connected with no problems.

My Hardware/Setup:

Computer: Mid-2014 Macbook Pro Retina 15"

Headphones: Bose QC35 (1.2.9) and QC30 (1.2.8)

-Anthony