Community Manager

Skype for Business with Windows Creators Update plus Bluetooth

This is not a Bose specific problem but it may affect you if you are using:

Using this combination,  you may experience audio issues and Skype will lock up and eventually the whole computer will lock up and you may have to power down to get things running again.

This seems to be a problem for people using Bluetooth audio devices from other manufacturers as well as Bose.

You can follow the discussion here in the Microsoft Answer forum.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro4-surfdrivers/trouble-w-bluetooth-headset-a...

If Skype for Business with Bluetooth is essential to you, you may want to wait until this issue is resolved before installing  Windows Creators Update.

I'm following this one closely and I'll update if I find a workaround or Microsoft comes up with a solution.

ST

11 REPLIES 11
Mutnat
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

Re: Skype for Business with Windows Creators Update plus Bluetooth

@ST thanks for the heads up!  I wish it had been posted yesterday before I accepted the Creator's Update 😞  It's queued up and will be installed the next time I reboot, I believe.  Oh well, I guess I'll have to make do as best as I can until MS can fix it.  Fortunately I don't make a ton of S4B calls, but still....

Community Manager

Hi Mutnat,

If you can't stop the update, you can rollback the Creators Update.

Maybe live with it for 24 hours and see if there's anything you can't do without.

ST

Community Manager

Here are the instructions from MIcrosoft to resolve this issue. (Scroll to the bottom of the page)

Please try the following to see if it works:

1.      Make sure you don’t have any third-party add-ins/ antivirus applications installed that may cause the issue.

2.      Try performing a clean boot in Windows to check if it works.This will helps eliminate whether the issue is caused by software conflicts.

3.      Do an Online repair.

This seems to have solved the problem with Skype for Business locking up on Windows Creators Update with a Bluetooth device. 

If anyone else had this problem and the steps above resolved it, please tell us.

Thank you!

ST

Community Manager

Quick update.

I just had a 30 minute Skype for Business call.  The people on the far end said the call quality was fine and my machine did not lock up.

ST

Mutnat
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

That's great @ST, thanks for following up!  Nice to know there's a fix now.

Community Manager

Sad news.

I just did an update to Office 2016 version 1704.

I'm having intermittent Bluetooth issues with Skype for Business again. This not specific to Bose Bluetooth devices. I've reported it to Microsoft. 

ST

jas
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 14, 2017

Try running Windows update again to get KB4020102  (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4020102/windows-10-update-kb4020102).  This should raise the OS build level to "15063.332".  This fixes most, if not all, of the audio issues from the original Creators release.

After the update I suggest removing all bluetooth pairing, rebooting and then re-pairing.  Also, if you have an onboard sound card (Realtek/whatever) you might want to check the MUC for the latest driver updates (https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx).  Search on "realtek media" for Realtek drivers - as an example.

If you want a bit more stability in the future, consider delaying updates - particularly for "feature releases" like Creators - or going to the "Current Branch for Business" update stream in Windows Update -> Advanced Options (I think this stream runs about 4 months behind).

HTH

Community Manager

Hi @jas

I really appreciate your detailed post.

I'm not always the first on the block with the latest update, but I just got the Surface Studio and I was anxious to see new ink related features in Creators Update.

Thank you!

ST

LegalEagle
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 1, 2017

can i know if bose QC30 now works with skype for business?