Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 30, 2018

Sound Sport Free Wireless Earbuds Issue

Hey Bose,
Today it’s 102 in Texas
Gonna be over 100 for almost 3 months
I work in a non-air conditioned shop
I get very hot when I work and my headphones shut off. I can stop for a few minutes and they power on again but when I get back into hard work they shut off killing my motivation.
If I step out into the sunlight to work they shut off within 2 minutes and I turn on immediately when I’m back inside. The overheating function is surprisingly accurate. But I would definitely expect them to be operational in temperatures that I can operate in. If anyone is down south and you want to use them in the sun at 100* or hotter they will not work
9 REPLIES 9
maxnuk
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

Re: Sound Sport Free Wireless Earbuds Issue

unfortunately the battery can not withstand this temperature ..
Cemclo
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 30, 2018

So there are no work arounds?
Can I get firmware with the overheating function removed?
Is there another wireless earbud product from Bose that can withstand 100 degree days?
Any options?

@Cemclo Hello, thank you for writing in. The operating temperature range for the SoundSport Free headphones is 5° F to 122° F.

For safety reasons, do not expose the headphones to excessive heat. Additional important safety instructions can be found inside the owners guide linked here.

Should you have any further concerns with your headphones, please contact your local Bose Support. Here is a link to get contact information. Just select your region, and kindly scroll down to where you see "contact us" 

Thank you, 

Mohsin - Community Support

Metalyoshi
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 8, 2018

So that's it? These expensive headphones are worthless unless you live somewhere goldilocks would approve of? I'm in Spain, it's not that hot, early 30s, I'm barely sweating, and these things keep switching off. My old, cheap ones didn't, so i never even considered it might be a problem when I stepped up to these. Not good enough bose
Jasongnx16
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 13, 2018

Also from Texas, and the overheating issue is plaguing me as well! Now don’t get me wrong here, these are some sweeeeeet headphones. I’m addicted to them and they are basically in my ears all day. But as stated, in Texas the temps are no joke and can go on like this for months. So any kind of exercise outside, working outside, mowing, gardening, woodworking, anything that involves being out will shut these things down in a heartbeat. I accidentally left them in the truck one day and came back to get them and they freaking out. Lights on the case blinking and all, I was worried I’d damaged them. I owned the sound sport before the sound sport free and they never got hot and worked perfect with all the video. I still enjoy these headphones, and I’m not a bose tech that has to figure all this crap out. But without voicing our opinions there can be no change. So here’s mine. Take it sleazy, Jason
Cemclo
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 30, 2018

Hey Jason, you say the regular soundsport don’t have this overheating issue? How does the audio quality compare?
Gez
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 14, 2018

I too am less than impressed. I’m on holiday in Cyprus & bought these bad boys so I could Sunbathe & float around in the pool while banging out some tunes & listen to my audio books. It has taken me 2 hold days to come to the realisation that when they are exposed to the sun they are about as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

How many more innocents are going to fall foul of this design fault.

Would suggest in future they are sold with a very clear warning explaining their limited capability.

@Metalyoshi wrote:
So that's it? These expensive headphones are worthless unless you live somewhere goldilocks would approve of? I'm in Spain, it's not that hot, early 30s, I'm barely sweating, and these things keep switching off. My old, cheap ones didn't, so i never even considered it might be a problem when I stepped up to these. Not good enough bose

Pjtaylor
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 13, 2018

What a coincidence: I too am on holiday in Cyprus and I too cannot use my Soundsport Frees by the pool due to them shutting down. Back to wired headphones for me then...

Gez
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 14, 2018

I bought mine in Stephanis in Larnaca. Would have been nice if they could have given me a warning, however it's still early days, so I'm guessing their yet to get hold of this little nugget of information and i didnt have the time to return to the shop and give them some feedback.