Highlighted
BTL1972
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 3, 2019

Sound Sport Pulse Apple Health App

I am on my 2nd pair of the Sound Sport Pulse ear buds and I've experienced the following issue with both sets of earphones. The HR-Bose SS pulse does not connect with the Apple Health app (i.e., show the hear rate) unless I power the phone off and on again, then immediately power on the ear buds. I am currently using and iPhone 7 with IOS 12.2.2 but I have experienced this issue with earlier IOS versions on the same iPhone. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Sound Sport Pulse Apple Health App

Hey BTL1972,

Thank you for reaching out to the community. Sorry to hear about the trouble you're experiencing. Can you please verify that this process is followed?: SoundSport Pulse - Apple Health

Try also removing the headphones from your phone first, and clear the pairing list from the headphones (press and hold the power/Bluetooth button for 10 seconds). 

Let us know when you get a chance!

Thank you again,

Mohsin - Community Support

BTL1972
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 3, 2019

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I've tried these steps in the past without sucess, with either pair of the Bose Sport Pulse.  I've also tried restoring my phone, that didn't work either. The only I can get the heart rate to appear in the Apple Health App is to power the phone off/on and connect the HR-BSP immediately. 

Hello BTL1972, 

I am sorry to hear you are still having difficulty. I am not sure why your SoundSport Pulse headphones aren't connecting to the Health App. I have used them myself with an iPhone 8 and current iOS software. It would be extremely unusual for you to have gotten two pairs of headphones that don't work correctly, so it's likely to be something else. My best advice here is to make sure the headphone firmware is current and then refresh the Bluetooth connection. You can most easily update using the USB charging cable and your PC. Navigate to btu.bose.com and follow the instructions there. Then refresh the Bluetooth connection with the following steps:

1. Power off your headset
  2. Press and hold the Power/Bluetooth button for 10 seconds until you hear “Bluetooth device list cleared.”
  3. "Forget" the headphones from your phones Bluetooth list.
  4. Pair and test for function

Let me know if this helps!

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

BTL1972
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 3, 2019

Thank you for the feedback.

Yesterday, I followed steps 1-4 and the HR-BSSP connected with the Apple Health app. It actually worked flawlessly all day long. This morning however, the two programs were no longer speaking to each other, yet again. I followed steps 1-4, again, and now they are communication once more. Is it by design, that the user has to follow steps 1-4 every time to sync the Bose to the Apple Health app? 

Hello BTL1972,

I'm glad to hear that you are having more success. If the headphones are connected, your health app should be receiving data. Two thoughts here. First, make sure that your headphones are properly fitted. The sensor must be in contact with your skin to collect information. Check to see if one of the other eartips provides a tighter fit. This video may help you get them positioned properly. It's for the QC20's but they use the same eartip. Second, if you lose connection to the Health app try turning the headphones off, then back on rather than clearing the pairing lists, which is certainly tedious.

I hope this helps! 

Best Regards,

Greg

BTL1972
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 3, 2019

Thank you for the ongoing support. It's one of the features I admire about procuring Bose products. With regards to the fit, the ear buds fit quite snug. Additionally, I would imagine if the fit was the root cause the heart beat would not be visible within the Bose app. That is not the case, the nonexistent heart beat issue is specific to the Apple Health app. Turning the headphones off and on, is not a solution. At this point, I am going to chalk the purchase of the Bose Sound Sport Pulse earphones up to buyer's remorse. While the sound is stellar, the heart rate monitor feature is a dissapointment.

Hello BTL1972,

Thanks for the kind words. I am sorry to hear that you are still having difficulty. I have used the SoundSport Pulse and havent experienced this problem. I realize that I should have asked if you had updated the firmware. The easiest way to do this is with the USB charging cable and your PC. Navigate to btu.bose.com and follow the instructions there. It may help. You might also try connecting without using the Connect app and see if that makes a difference as well.

Good luck! 

Best Regards,

Greg

BTL1972
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 3, 2019

Yes, the firmware is up to date. Reaching out to this forum was the last-ditch effort to try and remedy the situation. For clarifification, I've had two set of these head phones for which neither have consistently connect witht he Apple Heath app. Given your comments that you've not encountered this issue with your Pulse product, are you insuinating the issue lies within the Apple device and/or Apple App? 

Hello BTL1972,

There is no insinuation intended. Part of understanding the scope of a problem is whether it is reproducible. Since I have not seen the behavior you are describing I cannot reproduce it here to fully understand what is going on so I can help you connect. The headphones themselves are not overly complex devices so things like firmware, fitting the headphones, and Bluetooth are the most common points of friction when they aren't working as expected. Since the statistical odds of you getting two malfunctioning headphones in a row are so low, I suspect that the issue is one of data communication from the headphones to your phone. For occasional corrupted Bluetooth connections the remedial action is to update firmware/software on both devices and refresh the connection with the procedure described in my other post. A good step might also be to reach out to Apple and see if they are able to offer any additional advice regarding connecting to the Health app.

Beyond that, if you feel that your headphones are malfunctioning for any reason, please contact Customer Support. Contact information can be found here. Just select your region, and kindly scroll down to where you see "Contact Us".

Have a great day!

Best Regards,

Greg