Highlighted
jackfromearth
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 23, 2019

SoundSport Free - Right Bud Won't Power On

Hey Bose Community,

This is my first Bose product. The reviews praised the unit's audio fidelity and that's all I care for in headphones.
My first impression was great! I tried them on and they felt awesome!

Before I paired the buds with any devices, I visited the Bose Updater at https://btu.bose.com/?p=16408#section=device.
I ran into a hiccup: The updater failed because "too many cases were plugged in". I tested all of my USB ports. I checked both Device Manager and the Microsoft USBView debugger, but was unable to locate the Bose products in either interface. The USB 3.1 Gen2 ports serviced by the ASMedia controllers all generated this "too many cases" error. The Intel controlled ports (both 2.0 and 3.1 Gen2) all were able to run the Bose Updater software.

With that behind me, I was able to patch the device FW from v1.1.0 to 2.6.0.

Next, I attempted to pair the buds with my iPhone XR. My Bluetooth on this phone works with my car stereo, a portable speaker, and my smartwatch.
1.    I installed the Bose Connect app.
2.    I disconnected the Bose charging case from my PC.
3.    I opened the app, and swiped down on my new earbuds which were detected successfully.
4.    I opened the case, and removed the buds as prompted.
5.    The app tells me "Aw snap! Something happened and we couldn't connect to Bose Free SoundSport. Please make sure your product is on and within range of the device."

I proceeded to kill and re-open the app, power cycle my phone, read the whole manual, and fully charge the Bose case, attempting steps 1-5 as mentioned above.
I accessed the Advanced mode on the Bose Updater webpage via the ADVDU code. I re-installed FW v2.6.0 two times, repeating steps 1-5 a bunch.

This is the current output from Advanced mode.

System Information

Updater Software Version5.0.0.2488
Bluetooth Device Firmware Version2.6.0.1094
Bluetooth Device Hardware Version01.00.00
Bluetooth Device NameLevi
Bluetooth Device Serial Numberremoved for privacy reasons
USB PID4018
Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 10 Enterprise
Operating System Service Pack 
Total Physical Memory32768MB
Available Physical Memory21172MB
Processor Model NameIntel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Processor InformationIntel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 12

Error Log

2/23/2019 18:48:35.900, Error, Exception caught:
2/23/2019 18:48:35.900, Error, Dumping crash to C:UsersJackAppDataLocalTempBoseUpdater_20190223_184835.dmp
2/23/2019 19:43:45.123, Error, Device::getBootmodePid failed to get report
2/23/2019 19:43:45.123, Error, Device comm error during getCurrentDevicesConnected (error -1008)
2/23/2019 19:43:45.125, Error, ChibiDevice::getBootmodePid failed to get report
2/23/2019 20:59:05.419, Error, Called method getCurrentDevicesConnected without a session

The Bose Updater log (BoseUpdater.log) and the Error dump file (BoseUpdater_20190223_184835.dmp) can be found at:
OneDrive Bose Updater Folder

Skip to here for symptoms rather than technical descriptions

-    Any time I have opened the charging case, both indicators are a solid white to show each earbud is at or near full charge.
-    The buds fail to announce batter percentage as described in the user manual. The only audio I can get are the "sleep" and "wake" sounds from the left bud.
-    I have never seen either Bluetooth LED light up blue to indicate "pairing mode". "Pairing mode" is a term only used by the Bose Connect app when preparing to setup the device. I can find no information on "pairing mode" or how to set the earbuds to it as the Bose Connect app asks.

-    I have never seen the right earbud's Bluetooth LED light up at all. It seems that the right bud is at "full charge" according to the case, but it is unable to turn on.

-    The left earbud's Bluetooth LED slowly blinks with a white hue until it falls asleep.
-    I have tried tapping, short (3-4s) holding, and long (7-10+s) holding each button and combination of buttons on the earbuds. Neither will make a noise unless the button press is waking the left bud from sleep.
-    It follows that I have held the left button for 10s as described in the manual.

I don't know what else I could possibly test to provide more details. I am open to any and all suggestions.
I was very excited as I awaited this product's delivery. So far, it has cause half a day's worth of headaches.

Thanks for reading,

John "Jack" Nachman

jack@yeehaw.me

2 REPLIES 2
jackfromearth
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 23, 2019

Re: SoundSport Free - Right Bud Won't Power On

Edit: I also attempted to located the earbuds via my PC's Bluetooth functionality. Nothing there.

piratekingsnow
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 30, 2019

Re: SoundSport Free - Right Bud Won't Power On

This what happened to me too. When I receive the package today. The right earbud indicator doesn't turn on even the right earbud was already fully charged when I open the box. I currently trying to replace the earbuds.