Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Re: SoundSport Free call audio in both ears PLEASE!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for contributing to this post. The SoundSport Free utilizes Truly Wireless Technology where the master (right) earbud cannot send call audio to the left earbud. This is by design, and there are many other reasons to use this technology such as comfort, fit, and unrivaled sound quality, as well as convenience. 

Regards,

Tony

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 17, 2017

Thanks Tony.  Your post is indicating that since this is by design, Bose has no plans or intentions to change this design for the SoundSport Free that utilizes Truly Wireless Technology (whether by technical limitation or business reasons as you mentioend).  What we need to know now is if Bose has any intentions to bring out a different product line that comprimises on some of the features/benefits of the Truly Wireless Technology for your customers who prioritize stereo sound for calls over other features.

To summarize the thread to this point in time (please correct me if I am wrong):

1. Bose will not be offering an update to the existing design of the SoundSport Free to enable stereo audio for calls
  2. Bose has no current plans for sterio audio calls from a truly wireless bluetooth headset.  The only alternative customers have to have wireless bluetooth with stereo sound is the SoundSport wireless (with the wire between the ear buds) or a different competitor product that doesn't use the Truly Wireless Technology.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 23, 2018

@Tony_Gwrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for contributing to this post. The SoundSport Free utilizes Truly Wireless Technology where the master (right) earbud cannot send call audio to the left earbud. This is by design, and there are many other reasons to use this technology such as comfort, fit, and unrivaled sound quality, as well as convenience. 

Regards,

Tony

...and yet, Bose, being aware of the issue, does not say anywhere in its marketing literature that they have a pretty basic functional limitation. Not sure how you can describe having call audio from only one earbud as being "convenient"! 

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 17, 2017

pxn080, unfortunately they do write this on the product page but it is hidden in the FAQ section.  But I'm with you, they could have done a better job of making this limitation (or what Bose calls a "benefit") known since it seems like a large customer base values this feature as a first class feature.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 10, 2018

We understand that it's by design. But it's definitely not for the customer's convenience. And it is clearly the reason many of us have returned the earbuds and will not purchase another pair until this feature is changed. I think that you've made yourself clear and I think we've made ourselves clear. Thanks.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 8, 2017

After trying all of my options, I've decided that the Soundsport Wireless are my absolute favorite headphones Bose has ever made. The QC35 is a close second, but I love the idea of in-ears because they're not bulky. I just love the way the SS Wireless operate over the Free. 

You can't match the sound of the Bose in-ears with anything else, but I don't like sound dropping and right-ear only calls and meetings.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 17, 2017

Maybe we should use this thread to help other customers with what competitor products they should be getting as an alternative!

I also think the Soundsport Wireless are great headphones by Bose.  I would encourage others who are frustrated by the Free's to give the Soundsport Wireless headphones a try...unless this thread has turned them off to Bose entirely!

Pros:

• Very comfortable
  • Can wear the headphones around your neck if someone comes up to your desk quickly
  • Great sound quality
  • Call audio in both earbuds!  I bought and use these headphones for the sole purpose of business calls in a noisey office.
  • Cuts out a good amount of ambient noise with the stay fit earbuds without requiring noise cancelling

Cons:

• When your battery warning message is announced, it ins't so much a warning but a declaration of your headphones running out of batteries by the end of that warning message!  You can't use the headphones while charging so I carry a backup wired headphone pair if I'm in the middle of a call
  • Charging requires the USB to be plugged into the headphones which isn't as convientent as the Free/AirPods are with the case charging
  • Microphone is super sensitive with no adjustment
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 10, 2018

To be clear, I own a Bose Mini, some desktop Bose speakers, a pair of over-the-ear wireless headphones, 2 pair of wired over-the-ear headphones, and 2 pair of the wireless earbuds (1 for me and 1 for my wife). I wear my wireless earbuds most of the day every day. I would love to have some Truly Free wireless earbuds. But I simply cannot compromise on the issue of having phone calls only in my right ear. Until that issue, and regardless of design it is an issue, is corrected I will not be purchasing new earbuds from Bose.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 7, 2018

Hello everyone still struggling with this issue,

I spoke with the Bose support team, and finally managed to get Bose to stand behind their product and it's issues and they offered me a refund. I had to ship the unit back, and they send me a cheque. The downside, the product dropped from $329 CAD to $249 CAD since I bought them in February, so I was out $70.

If you truely hate the product due to the limitation of the technology they chose to use, I would suggest calling the support line and requesting a refund. Be nice, but firm that is what you would like.  

Unfortunately in my sitation, I am deaf in the right ear. So not only is calling a problem, but I cannot hear the system alerts that are right ear only.

Since Bose seems intent on standing by this "feature" being part of their comfort and technology they decided to use, I would recommend leaving a review at the Better Business Bureau site for Bose.

https://www.bbb.org/boston/business-reviews/electronic-equipment-dealers/bose-corporation-in-framing...

I have been loyal to Bose for many years, and sadly this experience has soured me on the company. Mostly due to the lack of information initally provided, and that poor answers give by support on this forum. 

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 15, 2018

I too hate the fact that it's right ear only during calls.  I've had them for a few weeks and that is my biggest complaint by far.  Bose, please fix it!