SandanceKiss
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 16, 2017

SoundSport Free call audio in both ears PLEASE!

Are there any plans to enable call audio in both ears via firmware update for SoundSport Free? I used my originaly SoundSports for calls all the time and it's extremely annoying this has been removed from the feature set on SoundSport Free. I'm not sure what the thinking was around this, maybe the delay between ear pieces with the mic only being on the right? Please tell me there are plans to correct this. 

157 REPLIES 157

Re: SoundSport Free call audio in both ears PLEASE!

Hi SundanceKiss,

Thank you for your inquiries!  This is a technical limitation of the Truly Wireless Technology that we utilized for the SoundSport Free headphones where the master (right) earbud cannot send call audio to the left earbud.  This is typical of this technology and there are several other benefits to using this, such as comfort, fit, and unrivaled sound quality, as well as convenience.  The communication between your device and the headphones is as follows: Source device > Right earbud > Left Earbud, this could account for the lag in audio with dialogue-heavy media.  

I hope this helped answer some of your questions, we will keep you all informed of any future updates for the SoundSport Free's!

Enjoy your day,

Shiloh_C

Cimmerian
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 17, 2017

"This is a technical limitation of the Truly Wireless Technology that we utilized for the SoundSport Free headphones where the master (right) earbud cannot send call audio to the left earbud.  This is typical of this technology and there are several other benefits to using this, such as comfort, fit, and unrivaled sound quality, as well as convenience.  The communication between your device and the headphones is as follows: Source device > Right earbud > Left Earbud, this could account for the lag in audio with dialogue-heavy media."

Is this why video and audio are off in almost every app, and if so is this something that can be fixed via software update? Thouroughly disspointed if these headphones are basically  useless when ingesting video + audio while using both earbuds and not just the right one.

SandanceKiss
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 16, 2017

I don't see what "fit" and "conveience" have to do with this. Most of the competeing products in this space allow for this capability, including Apple Airpods and Bose's own SoundSport Wireless headphones. I would, as well as many others appreciate this be addressed more directly as to why the decision was made to leave this feature out. I'm sure many others would like it added in the future if that is not physically possible in this version, then the next itteration. 

soto
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 25, 2017

Just got mine and got super dissapointed by this. It's terrible and extremely weird that the audio switches to one ear only while on a call. I'm sending them back and I don't see how you guys justify the price or the tech behind these headphones when it really reminds 2002 bluetooth headsets. Terrible choice I wonder who is that master mind behind it and I'm glad I don't even know his name.

There is a huge lip sync issue with these headphones :

Tested on youtube : https://youtu.be/s_PbyRpKrRk

Audio is late at +4 right and +166.6 on the left
jonkmiller984
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 17, 2017

Hi Shiloh,

Reading your reply and putting that togehter with the promotional videos around the SoundSport Free's make me guess that the SoundSport Frees were positioned as a product to address users who want to use these headphones only for listening to music and working out.

There are many people out in the market who are now less sticker shocked by expensive headphones thanks to the Apple Airpods and these people are craving better sound quality and comfort in their headphones.  These users need these headphones to be outstanding in many different activities or else these users will stick with what they know - like Airpods or Jaybirds.  From my observations, these users are using their headphones for much more than just listening to music and working out.  If you walk around an office these days (engineers, consultants, project managers, designers), I would say half or more of the people I walk by have headphones in for a majority of their day to watch videos, be on conference calls, listen to music in good quality, and use audio from all their applications demanding their attention.

I personally use these headphones for almost my entire day during work and while I commute.  I want to be able to use comfortable, reliable, and great sounding audio when I use your headphones for commuting, working, conference calls, listening to music, listening to podcasts, watching YouTube videos, watching movies, etc.  I don't want to use different headphones for different purposes as I switch activities often and quickly.

I would like to suggest that while the Truly Wireless Technology might be a current limitation you have forcing you to prioritize use cases around working out over calls, Bose is more straight forward in their positioning of the headphones to ensure those who need to use this for calls and watching videos do not assume the headphones will excel at these tasks.  I would also suggest you make a matrix of your headphones for their indended user, what activites the headphones are designed for, and alternative Bose headphones if a current model doesn't meet the user's needs.

thunderchop
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 26, 2017

Wow, I pre-ordered these headphones.  When they finally arrived yesterday, I discovered that call audio is only in the right earbud.  I thought, there's no way that bose would charge me $250 for ear buds that don't support audio in both ears.  I've been using Bose Quietcontrol 30 Wireless Headphones for over a year now and I purchased these new earbuds to replace the need for the neck piece and wires.  Sadely this is not a satisfactory replacement.  I even downloaded the latest firmware for the earbuds, but this did NOT fix the single ear call audio issue.  I really want these to work like I expected...looks like I will be sending them back 😞

muscal
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 28, 2017

This is not a very good response Bose and a very very obvious technical oversite that segments you into a niche workout category that is hard to justify for $250 when Apple Airpods and many other wire-free earbuds have this capabilitiy. 

Can you please let us know if you guys are INDEED working on a way to handle this either with a firmware update?

For those of us that are looking for Stereo calling and workout abilities in our headphones, should we be looking at the regular SoundSport headphones?

esimpson1
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I'm taking these back. I have JBL, B&O and Jabra Elite sport who play phone calls through both ears and the Jabras have excellent tools for workouts. All the Bose are good for is listening to music, but not good for phone calls and no workout tracking at all.

What junk!
EdCeballos
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 5, 2017