Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 11, 2018

Re: SoundSport Free call audio in both ears PLEASE!

You guys are lucky as you can still return the product. 

I live in Singapore, a third world country insofar as consumer rights are concerned. The Bose retailer here will not accept returns or refunds. Not even an exchange. 

These Soundsport Free earphones are a joke if they can't even handle calls in stereo. What a rip-off. I have the B&O E8s and they work perfectly. I thought the Bose would be a good spare pair but they are severely limited as a headset.  

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 11, 2017

Same thing in Russia, man... Feel you. When my previous SoundSport wireless headphones broke (left ear sound just got super quite and bland) I had to wait 45 days for them to confirm they were broken... So all this time I had no headphones. I feel very stupid for buying another pair of Bose headphones right after that just to find out that only one ear is active during calls...

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 17, 2018

Hi Shilo,

Thank you for reponding and updating this thread.  

I cannot believe that I have just spent $300 for a new set of Bose Free SoundSport only to find phone calls are routed to the right ear only.  My Bose Wireless 35 have sound going to both ears.  I need this.  I have a weak right ear and find these USELESS for phone calls!!!  The QC Wireless 35 is great.  How could you take such a retrograde step?  Surely if you wanted you could transmit to both ears - or even create an option in the app for me to choose between one ear or both ears.

Way to shift my thinking of Bose as a progressive, forward thinking company on whom I rely for my audio needs, to one that appears to be using cheaper technology that has good sound but limited functionality.  I now have no choice but to look at other brands.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 23, 2018

Well that’s pretty messed up. I have 70% hearing loss in my right ear and this is pretty much a waste for me. A note on the package about this would be helpful. Now I have to wast my time and fuel to bring this junk back. Thanks a lot bose.
P.S. this will be the last product I will ever buy from you.
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 23, 2018

This is bull**bleep**. I’m returning these and getting the Jabara elite active. Goodbye
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 23, 2018

Stop making up bull**bleep** stories for r your lazy ass designers. This issue should be clearly marked on the package. Sounds like you didn’t want people to know this before they buy it because we all know it wouldn’t sell.
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 23, 2018

Nowhere’s on the package does it say calls limited to right ear which equates to lying. I’m returning them ASAP. And buying the Jabra active elite.
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi Bbanta,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Soundsport Free headphones. I am sorry they didn't live up to your expectations.  We understand your concern of the communications aspect of the headset. The SoundSport Free headphones were designed for single earbud usage while on phone calls. This is a technical limitation of the Truly Wireless Technology that we utilized for the headphones where the master (right) earbud cannot send call audio to the left earbud. This is typical of this technology and there are several other benefits to using this, such as comfort, fit, and unrivaled sound quality, as well as convenience. If you need anything further I would suggest reaching out to your local Bose support. Here is a link you can use. Click on your county, scroll down to "Contact Us"

Have a great day!

Tony - Community Support

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 25, 2018

I really wish returning them was an option for me, but Best Buy flat out refused because they have been opened.  I was pretty annoyed today when I realized that calls only worked on one side as well.  Maybe Bose can refund us all half of the money we spent on these.  I didn't read anything about lop-sided phone calls in the documentation (or super lagged AV sync, or being "stuck" at 80% charge, or .... the list goes on and on and I've only had these things for a day).

Since I'm now "stuck" with these overly epensive and seemingly quite buggy earbuds I guess I'll put in my vote for Bose to make them work in both ears for audio calls as well.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 25, 2018

"This is a technical limitation of the Truly Wireless Technology that we utilized for the headphones where the master (right) earbud cannot send call audio to the left earbud. This is typical of this technology and there are several other benefits to using this, such as comfort, fit, and unrivaled sound quality, as well as convenience."

The technical limitation being exactly what and why was this not documented clearly BEFORE I purchased this item?  nowhere in the user manual or advertising copy do I see the notice that phone calls only work half-way.  In Canada there are laws against this sort of thing, it's called "bait and switch" ... it was advertised as one thing and the product that ws delivered is something completely different.

I would love some clarifiation of exactly what the terms "This is typical of this technology" means ... and what the "this" is in the part of the sentence that states "other benefits to using this" ... "this" being the inability to route audio to more than one earbud?  It's hard to see how "comfort," "fit," "unrivaled sound quality," and "convenience" apply to a left ear bud that's non-functional during a phone call.