Cwatson81
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 25, 2018

Re: SoundSport Free call audio in both ears PLEASE!

I was impressed with the audio quality when playing music. It wasn’t anything groundbreaking, but the quality I expect when paying $200 for headphones. When playing video, I could live with the audio/video lag time. When I made a phone call, I boxed them back up and will be returning them. Very disappointed Bose. I have half a dozen of your other headsets, sound bars, and stand-alone speakers. Your ability to produce excellent sound is still there, but other than that, you lag behind nearly every other major competitor in terms of innovation and features. The ability to make a phone call and utilize both ear pieces is such a norm, that it’s astonishing you don’t agree and if this thread of other dissatisfied customers isn’t testimate enough, it’s just a matter of time until you’re the next “Blockbuster” or “Kodak”.
minelson33
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 26, 2018

I too found the lack of audio in both ears to be a deal breaker.   I brought these back to Verizon and exchanged for a competitor brand - Jabra Elite 65t.    The competitor was $30 less, has no sync issues, don't give me the look of Frankenstein, and provide features that I had come to expect, such as call audio in both ears.    The difference in audio quality is not worth the issues (yes, the lack of call audio in both ears is an "issue") that this $200 presented with out of the box.   I have seen your repetitive answer to this thread about design and other nonsense, and it is not an acceptable answer.   Honestly, the lack of a proper answer or roadmap for remediation sealed the deal on the return for me. 

For what it's worth, none of the Verizon reps at the store knew about this issue either.    They read up on it while I was in the store, and now I am sure they will be hesitant to suggest it to customers looking for a good call experience.

I concur with Cwatson81 above, inevitably poorly executed products such as this one will ruin the Bose brand, a brand that I 'had' thought of as superior for many years.   I won't spend premium money anymore on the brand.

Punkarts
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 27, 2018

Bose,

When will we see an update on this fix?  Haven't seen anything since October 2017.  Being the masters of noise reduction you've turned users of the "Free" technology into SLAVES of left channel noise during phone calls.  Obviously a focus group was not pulled into the product design phase as this would have been product enemy #1.  I think you owe it to your long-time users to correct this issue rather than telling us how comfortable these things feel in our ears (Try using a little less energy in your user misdirection during emails and more on fixes.)  We are not at a time when technological advances require stepping back 5 steps to move forward 1.  Is Elon Musk removing the tires from his Teslas so they can go longer distances on each charge?  This product is useless for calls and it should reflect that in your marketing and packaging/displays.  Horrible of you all to release this product without this information glaring us in the face.  This is not an accident.  This was a decision that passed through multiple executives.  Unfortunately user experience was a casualty so that Bose could make it to market in time to compete with everyone else.  And look what happened.  Tech surprises these days are usually in the form of added features (i.e. Oh!  I didn't know it could do this!  Cool!)  Somehow you all decided it would be okay to take things away instead of working a little harder to make it the best in show.  I guess that was just a memory of the Bose I grew up with.  A little respect lost today.

Paco Meneses
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 23, 2018

Hi Shiloh_C 

I´m deaf from my right ear, Is there any upgarde that will make it work (phone calls) on the left side in the near future?. 

I think this limitation (single earphone for calls) should be visible, as sellers or self service kiosks does not provide this information.

Can i have a contact email to ellaborate on my case?

Hi Paco,

Thanks for posting. I see how that would be frustrating. I would direct your comments to support@bose.com. 

Take care,

Tony - Community Support

Yannis
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 25, 2018

Hi Bose et all,

Bought mine two days ago while in the US. Just got back to Europe and opened them to discover this issue. No matter the responses from Bose that came a year ago about developers working on it the sound is still on one earbud I spend 45 mins updating them and now I discover this. I have two questions to ask Bose:

1. Is there any solution for that being developed and if so by when?

2. If you can not commit to such a date is there a possibility to return them in Europe within 30 days as per your policy, even if I bought them in a Bose factory store in the US?

I really appreciate your feedback

Thank you

Hi Yannis,

Thanks for posting. The issue with the phone calls only being in one ear is by design. The SoundSport Free utilizes Truly Wireless Technology where the master (right) earbud cannot send call audio to the left earbud. 

If you are unsatisfied with your headphones I would contact your local Bose support for assistance. Here is a link you can use. Click on your country, scroll down to "Contact Us".

Regards,

Tony G

DrSarat
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 25, 2018

I have bought truly wireless just to play games cordless. But when i use the mic feature then i have no audio on one ear which is very difficult when i play games like pubg. I pay 19k for a stuff which doesnt deliver that while a 13 k samsung gear has fitness tracker with it. And it gives 1 second audio lag. Being a fan of bose. Im truly dissapointed.
disjoc57
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 29, 2018

I agree with you I also have hearing loss and unfortunately it’s my right ear sooo not buying these
sraj49
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 5, 2018

I was so impressed with the sound quality I bought these ear buds but when I strated using it for calls it was a bummer. My right year is 50 % hearing ans I prefer call audio on my left. What do I do? There i needs to be a software upgrade for this. I would qappreciate your attention to this critical issue for people with predominantly left ear hearing...there are many.