andrewo
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 7, 2017

Re: SoundSport Free call audio in both ears PLEASE!

I second this request, extremely fustrating. 

Bose, please clarify your intentions.

If there is no plan to fix this, I will be returning the product under the "BOSE 30 Day Excitement Guarantee".

Thanks,

Andrew.

Hello andrewo,

We have made the device as a single Bluetooth headset option to abide with driving laws and regulations.

Thank you,

Bose

esimpson1
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 27, 2017

That's bunk. Other headphones don't perform this way. Bose simply put out an inferior product. A trend that's been happening for the last 4-5 years.
scottjen26
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 8, 2017

I almost never participate in these types of forums, but found this when searching for why my left earbud wasn't receiving audio during phone calls.  Was thinking I needed to re-pair or do something that I didn't pay attention to when checking the manual.

As with others, VERY disappointed in this functionality.  Don't buy the "decision" to do this intentionally or some limitation with the technology.  Been a Bose customer for a long time - home speakers, car systems, numerous pairs of full headphones and earphones, etc., first time I've been disappointed with a product.  Was looking forward to these but will probably have to return.

Ironically, I checked into this option (true wireless) because a friend shared her Airpods with me and I was impressed with the sound compared to an older pair I had.  They are limited when paired with my Android phone, but the sound and fit is great and I get sound from both earbuds with music and phone calls.  The Bose product is heavier in my ear and doesn't sound appreciably better, and with this limitation unfortunately I will have to bite the Apple bullet and return the Bose and disgrace my ears with the white earbuds...  🙂

I hope this oversight in design and issues with the delay are fixed in later versions.

Scott

jonkmiller984
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 17, 2017

Hi Leo_M,

Thank you for explaining one of the use cases that was a MVP (minimum viable product) feature.  I fear you might have prioritized a driving use case over conference calls and all non-driving use situations.    I would recommend reviewing how much time your customer base are using the headphones and for what purposes.  I understand that sometimes regulatory and legal issues might dictate feature priorities.  If this is a liability issue, you could always go as far as using the GPS in your new Bose app to tell if the user is moving faster than running speed or enable the user to control if a single earbud is on or both.  If you are technically able to get call audio to both earbuds, I would suggest giving the user control to select if they want mono/stereo call audio in the app with a legal disclaimer for the user to check with local laws and regulations.  I would then have the call audio defaulted to the mono setting.  Then have a slip of paper in the Read Me documentation so the user knows the feature has been turned to mono by default and how to change it if they understand the risks and local laws/regulations.

While you guys at Bose are taking a beating on this feature, I think all we want to know is if Bose is prioritizing the feature that both earbuds can be used for calls and that the lag is increased when watching videos.  It is alright if you guys prioritized driving laws as an MVP over conference calls, but what we need to know is if your development team is going to be working on this and if this is a technical issue that will require the next version of wireless headphones to come out or if this can be an over-the-air software update.  No one wants to go through the hassle of returning your headphones since we like them a lot, just need some guidance on how to proceed.  Should we return the headphones and wait for the next version or are you putting call audio in both earbuds on your next development cycle that will enable those who own the headphones already to get the update?

PS:

If the use case you mentioned about the driving laws is in case the situation, then your regulatory team might need to review your SoundSport wireless headphones since there is no limitation to using both earbuds when driving as the calls will always be playing in both earbuds.  To be compliant when wearing the SoundSport wireless (or even any of your older wired headphones), the user would just not put one earbud into the left ear.  

PPS:  Your driving laws use case sounds like a red herring since another moderator talked about the actual technical limitation and the name of the technology you are using that prevents both headsets being used.  Your answer below sounds like a "convinent feature" to answer an oversight in use cases or a gap in functionality with AirPods and others that you wanted to make into a strength.  You might want to review your stance with engineering and marketing since the messages on these forums are conflicting.

Thanks,

Jon

maccer
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 18, 2017

If the mic of the Free picks up less background noise than the Soundsport Wireless, I would be interested as Bose has the by far best eartips.

But the "calls from only the right earpiece" is currently a deal breaker for me. So as everyone else on this thread I would like to know whether getting stereo call sound is possible with a firmware update. Most other manufacturers can do it, why not Bose? Has any decision maker at Bose actually tried to make a long call using these? At least for me, it quickly becomes discomforting to hear the sound in only one ear.

belmontkiter
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Nov 9, 2017

Abide by the driving laws?  Lie more Bose...that has to be the most pathetic response ever.

The QC30's don't drop the left ear when you take a call.  The regular SoundSport and SoundSport Pulse do not do this.  If in-use while driving, it is expected the customer remove one earbud if that is what the law mandates.  The SoundSport Free is intended for gym use...and you expect most calls to take place in a car rather than on a treadmill or stationary bike?  

It's really sad to see a company that created a few products most people would never fly without after trying them once, has stumbled to such a low expectation of usability with their recent products.  The QC30 makes me sound like I'm in a tornado while I'm on the phone.  The Soundsport's degrade at the connection from the wire to the bud.  The Soundsport Free's have lag Bose says cannot be fixed (and I believe them) as well as mono calling they claim is intentional, which probably also means it can't be fixed...Seems like things went to hell when their headphones were expected to do more than reproduce an audio track while cancelling background noise.

Looking forward to comparing B&O e8 against Jabra Elite next week.  My Free's were returned.

Hi everyone,

I would like to apologize for the confusion that a previous moderator's response brought about. The answer provided was incomplete and as moderators, it is our job to provide our community with the most accurate information possible. Going forward, we are working as a more combined front to ensure that you all are receiving the most relevant and proper details in regards to your products. 

You've all brought up some excellent points and I thank everyone for your well thought out and detailed responses.

We want to assure you that we are hearing your requests and that this information is going to the appropriate people.  If we learn any more information, either way, we will definitely share it with you right away.

I hope you have a great day and we thank you for your patience,

Shiloh_C 

OaBOne
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Nov 15, 2017

Add this to the list to fix:

SoundSport Free used with 64 bit Windows10.

Sound comes through right bud with Voice

Unable to get sound through Media. 

Need to use buds with Media such as Window Player or YouTube.

Improbus
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 25, 2017

I just wanted to add that taking conference calls using one earbud is beyond annoying and is a deal breaker for many users including myself.

It doesn't make sense to have stereo audio for music and not for calls. Any information on whether or not this is being addressed would be greatly appreciated. I intend to hold out till the end of my return policy at the Bose store to see what future firmware updates bring but this is by far the most important fix for many users.