EdCeballos
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 5, 2017

Re: SoundSport Free call audio in both ears PLEASE!

I returned mine 5days after purchase...I love boss over every other brand but this is inadmisible.

Also, left ear kept having micro interruptions when listening To music, even after the upgrade to v1.2.

cultureByte
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 30, 2017

Adding my voice to the rest of this thread. 

This is an essential feature. 

At the minimum, we expect Bose to clearly communicate if they intend to fix this. 

I would return my headphones if there is no plans to fix this. 

FuzzyTony
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 30, 2017

I just got these today and would *never* have bought them if I knew the limitations of the product.

As a long standing Bose customer I cannot reiterate what a horrible product decision it was to build these with cal audio support for only the right ear bud. I also would like to point out that Apple AirPods are fully capable of audio calls with both ears and have no lag when watching videos.

I am returning these ASAP. Extremely poor product.
poiboy
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 20, 2017

This is a guess, but a somewhat educated one.

It seems that Bose designed the Soundsport Wireless earbuds with one bluetooth transceiver per earbud. (A transceiver has both a transmitter and a receiver). When we're listening to music through the pair, they're configured in a master-slave setup where the right-ear transceiver receives the bluetooth audio signal, then re-transmits it to the left earbud. When in a telephone call, the right-ear transceiver receives and transmits to the cellphone so that both parties in the call can hear each other speak. In order to hear the call audio in both ears, a second transceiver would be required in the right earbud to transmit call audio to the left.

I would think they made this architectural decision for a couple of reasons. First is cost - adding a second transceiver to the right earbud would add additional circuitry and a second antenna to the right earbud, and also significant design costs (from circuit-level all the way up to firmware). Second reason is power consumption. The additional transceiver would consume more battery power and the overall battery lifespan of the pair of earbuds would be diminished. They probably also made their decision in light of their target market - which is athletic use. Maybe phone calls with both ears receiving weren't judged to be a priority for this group. I think that they should consider re-architecting the buds so that they each communicate directly to the cellphone, rather than the master-slave setup used now (this is what's done in the Airpods, I believe). This would give us call audio in both ears and I think it would also lower the likelihood of the left-ear dropouts that many of us have been experiencing. I don't know enough about BT protocols to say why this approach wasn't used.

Anyway, if I'm right about this, then a firmware update to get call audio in both ears is extremely unlikely. (The only case I can think of is if they can re-architect the system with firmware revisions so that each bud communicates directly with the phone for music and calls). Otherwise if they have to stay with a master-slave setup, it's a hardware issue which involves significant time and expense to add another transceiver and put it into production. It might be helpful for us to realize that the Soundsport Wireless are not quite general-purpose earbuds targeted towards folks who want the Bose version of airpods, and they made their tradeoffs with this in mind. I personally have been using them mostly for long runs and really love them for that use - they're just about perfect for that. I do sometimes wish they were a little more general-purpose as well. I really like the ergonomics, fit, sound quality, and comfort of the SSW much more than airpods, or any of the other wireless earbuds I've tried. The audio and ergonomic designs are really excellent; it's just the wireless part that seems to have a few rough edges left.

anju_v
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 3, 2017

Adding my +1 to this thread, returning my SoundSport cause of this right-ear only voice issue.

iamnash
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 4, 2017

Unfortunately I'm also going to return these because of this flaw. 

jonkmiller984
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 17, 2017

+1.  Good analysis poiboy.  All dev has tradeoffs and it is hard to make everyone happy.

Bose, I recognize that all the replies of your customers saying they will be returning the headphones might not be what you need to help solve this gap in functionality if you want to prioritize a solution.

What can this group assist you with to help get to a point where you can advise us on future versions of the headphones with stereo call audio or  maybe alternative headphones to use for our use cases?

I think this group is open to working with Bose on giving you persona profiles, how much time we use headphones for calls, votes on potential features tradeoffs if not everything can be done in a single product, etc.

Improbus
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 25, 2017

Any idea if the new firmware fixes the issue?  I'm currently updating.

Edit:  Just updated to the 1.3.2 firmware.  Call Audio is still only in the right ear.  Bose can you please acknowledge if this is going to be addressed or not?  My return window is closing soon.

Hey @Improbus! Hope you're enjoying the new update. I actually just finished updating mine as well. 

Regarding your question - This update is to improve audio video synchronization. The call audio in the right ear is normal, as they were designed for single earbud usage while on phone calls. 

Let me know if there is anything else! 

Be well, 

Mohsin

Improbus
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 25, 2017

@Mohsin_S wrote:

Hey @Improbus! Hope you're enjoying the new update. I actually just finished updating mine as well. 

Regarding your question - This update is to improve audio video synchronization. The call audio in the right ear is normal, as they were designed for single earbud usage while on phone calls. 

Let me know if there is anything else! 

Be well, 

Mohsin

@Mohsin_S per your above statement is there any intent from Bose to allow for Call Audio in both ears?  Can this be fixed with software and firmware or is there a hardware limitation that is preventing this from being implementation.  Many of the customers want this feature and need to know if it can be or will ever be implemented.