Soundlink Around Ear 2 wireless AAC support

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor

Soundlink Around Ear 2 wireless AAC support

Hi team,

Could you please advise does Soundlink Around Ear 2 support AAC codec over A2DP profile or not?

23 REPLIES

Re: Soundlink Around Ear 2 wireless AAC support

Hi ipsdwight!

Great question!  The SoundLink AE II headphones do support the AAC codec.  

Have a wonderful day,

Shiloh_C 

Quiet Contributor

Hi Shiloh_C,

Thank you very much for the prompt response!

ipsdwight,

Absolutely, my pleasure! Please let us know if you need anything else & enjoy your listening!  Could I ask - how do you like your headphones?  Personally, I love that set.

Take care,

Shiloh_C 

Quiet Contributor

Hi Shiloh_C,

I was about to buy itSmiley Happy Actually we have just tested it with my collegue who has one and looks like AAC doesn't work on AE2. We tested it with Mac Book on Sierra OS (AAC enabled in Bluetooth Exporer) and iPhone 11.2 and it doesn't go for AAC.

The same works fine for QC35 model.

Just for your reference console logs from the iPhone with AE2:

default 16:01:16.251142 +0100 bluetoothd Starting A2DP audio streaming to device <private>
default 16:01:16.252042 +0100 bluetoothd Setting stream state for handle 1: Streaming -> Streaming
default 16:01:16.262907 +0100 bluetoothd Starting a2dp send thread, handle 1, frameLen 118, framecount 5, codec 0, bt clk 0xc719730
default 16:01:16.262966 +0100 bluetoothd Bluetooth Daemon: A2DP streaming to <private>: on
default 16:01:16.264144 +0100 bluetoothd AudioSendThread starting
default 16:01:16.264329 +0100 bluetoothd Enabling A2DP Link Quality Mode

Console log from the iPhone with QC35:

default 10:43:22.093421 +0100 bluetoothd Starting A2DP audio streaming to device <private>
default 10:43:22.093603 +0100 bluetoothd Setting stream state for handle 1: Streaming -> Streaming
default 10:43:22.093846 +0100 bluetoothd Starting a2dp send thread, handle 1, frameLen 645, framecount 1, codec 2, bt clk 0x8ce4144
default 10:43:22.093972 +0100 bluetoothd Bluetooth Daemon: A2DP streaming to <private>: on
default 10:43:22.094231 +0100 bluetoothd Enabling A2DP Link Quality Mode

In the third line of the log codec 0 stands for SBC and codec 2 stands for AAC.

jdr
Quiet Contributor

Just found this out while testing macOS High Sierra v10.13.1.  I have enabled ACC using the Bluetooth explorer (followed this guide https://www.areilly.com/2017/07/29/enabling-aac-and-aptx-over-bluetooth-on-macos/) have reconnected, restarted the Bluetooth module and even tried to reboot the macbook, same result - AE2 only connect using the SBC codec for music. SCO codec is used for voice calls (Skype for Business.)  My AE2 are at the most recent firmware 2.2.11.

What's the story Bose, is ACC supported on these headphones? 

Quiet Contributor

I forgot to mention that in my test headphones also were upgraded to 2.2.11
jdr
Quiet Contributor

I'm trying a 3rd party Bluetooth adapter next. Just ordered a Avantree aptX Low Latency LONG RANGE Bluetooth 4.1 Adapter which claims to have full macOS support out of the box.

jdr
Quiet Contributor

The adapter I mentioned below worked great, when it worked.  Sound quality was improved, range was significantly improved, overall much better than the native adapter.  However, for this adapter you need to use the physical button on it to chage the codec (music vs. VOIP), inconvenient.  Unfortunatly I found that after 30 minutes of use the adapter would disconnect from the headphones and start to behave inconsistantly. Not sure if I got a bad adapter or another problem.  Am back using AE2 directly w/the Macbook BT adapter using the updated configurations mentioned previously in this thread.  Overall this is working much better for me since I changed the internal macOS settings.  I have also noticed that the headphones stay connected with fewer problems if I disconnect (unpair) them from all other devices in range (iPhone and another Macbook)  Found that when they are connected the BT audio becomes choppy and suffers from random disconnects.  So much for multipoint capbilities of the headphones. 

Silent Starter

I can't seem to get AAC on AE2. Bose, we need an answer. AE2 sound like crap on Macs and it's not like any of the 2 devices is a cheap one.