Soundsport Free die in cold temps

Highlighted
Audible Advocate

Soundsport Free die in cold temps

anyone experiencing soundsport free dying in the cold? when temperatures fall below about 32 mine will turn themselves off after about 10 minutes. first the left bud will turn off, then a few minutes later the right will power down. this has happened to me several times...a problem, as i run thru new england winters.  

35 REPLIES

Re: Soundsport Free die in cold temps

Hey grannygear!

That's an interesting issue.  The operating temperature range for the Free's is 5 °F to 122 °F (-15 °C to 50 °C) so they shouldn't be shutting down due to the cold,  I'd suggest reaching out to customer support here.  Just select your country and scroll down to where you see "contact us".  

Please keep me updated if you can!

I hope you have a wonderful week and take care,

Shiloh_C 

Friendly Fanatic

I charged mine to 100% (both the case and the buds in the case). Tey sat in my gym baga couple days in my car (outside, temps in the 30s and 40s). When I got them out at the gym, the case battery monitor only showed 2 dots and the earbuds announced 30% battery when they were powered up. Interestingly, later at the gym, I turned them off, back into the case (still reading 2 dots), and back in my ears. They then anounced 100% charged.

Maybe a cold weather battery issue?

Audible Advocate

as requested shiloh_c, here's an update.

i swapped the original pair for a brand new pair. today i went for my first run (30 degrees), they exihibited the very same shutdown issue i experienced with the original pair. i placed them into my pockets while running to warm them, after about 20 minutes i began listening, again. within about 5 minutes they died, again. clearly, these will not function properly below 35degrees. bose needs to make clear to customers these will not function in cold temperatures (below 35), and--for those who need to use them in the cold--bose should include a pair of headphones (buds) that'll function in the cold. the temperture range you quoted below is laughably inaccurate...i expect far better from bose.

Audible Advocate

any input/response here, shiloh_c? at present i can't use soundsport frees outdoors for the reminder of the winter, apparently. 

Audible Advocate

Whats up? I’m here in NYC right now and the temperature today was 11*F and my ear buds shut down. First the left ear, then the right ear 1min later. They were fully charged also.
I too would like to hear a resolution on this without returning a product I enjoy using.
Audible Advocate

I’am in Norway, and have the same problem. I have been out in cold weather (cross country skiing and fatbikeing) several times. First the left ear, then the right ear 5-10 minuts later. They were also fully charged.

Hi folks!

Thank you, everyone, for responding.  I'm wondering if due to the frigid temperatures in the last few weeks, the wind chill could be affecting the headphones.  Where the temperature may be within the operating range it's possible that the wind chill could bring that down enough and push those limits.  Temperatures this cold and electronics can face some complications, I  noticed that even my car was having electrical issues this morning. I will follow up with our engineers for more information to see if we may need to adjust the operating range and I will let you folks know as soon as we hear anything.  

Thanks again and I hope that you all have a wonderful and peaceful New Years.

Take care,

Shiloh_C

Audible Advocate

Hello.

I am experiencing the same issues with cold shutdown.  I was hoping to use these for outdoor running all year.  Is there a possible solution to this?  If not, I will have to request a refund because these are useless to me during cold weather.

Quiet Contributor

I just did my first run today in the Free's and suprisingly they handled the cold pretty well. I live in the midwest of the United States and the temperature when I first started running was -5*F with a windchill of -30*F. Sure they lasted about a mile or so before turning off due to the cold, but after about 10 minutes of finally warming up with the heat from being under my hat they turned back on and lasted the last hour of the 12 mile run with no issues. I was more worried about my iPhone dying than the headphones. You just can't expect any electronics to work properly when the temperature drop really low. However, I believe there shouldn't be any issues with the headphones when they are being worn at temperatures in the 20s and the 30s. They should be able to handle that just fine. Just my input on how the headphones handled the cold for me today.