R_Strk
Participant
Registered since

Dec 26, 2016

Soundsport mic does not work with Windows 10

I cannot get my desktop to recognize input from the Bose Soundsport headset's mic.

I've paired my Bose Soundsport headset (Bluetooth) with my desktop running Windows 10 and my cellphone (Samsung - Android).  I get good quality sound from both devices.   I want to use the microphone on the headset to input to the devices.  This works fine on the cellphone.  e.g., I can use the microphone to do a Google search or engage in telephone calls.    Bose technical support informed me that Windows 10 isn't a supported product for using the microphone but will only work for listening.   I can't get Windows 10 to recognize input from the mic.

I've tried the mic setup, the troubleshooter and looked for any setup options for Bluetooth devices.  Can anyone offer insight on how to get this to work OR simply confirm that it won't work?  I find it hard to believe that Bose dropped the ball and neglected to ensure compatibility with a platform so widely used as Windows 10.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ST - Hearphones
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Re: Soundsport mic does not work with Windows 10

Author Accepted Answer selected by R_Strk

Hi R_Strk,

If the Bluetooth drivers loaded correctly, there will be two Bluetooth Profiles. Their names will be similar to

1. Headphones (Bose SoundSport Stereo) [This does not support using the microphone]
  2. Headset (Bose SoundSport Hands Free) [This is MONO but allows access to the microphone]

If things are working properly, an application that can use the microphone will automatically switch to the Headset profile. However, depending on the application you are using, you may need to manually switch the profile.

Are both profiles are installed? Here is how you can tell, and switch between them.

1. When you can hear sound through your SoundSport Wireless headphones look at the notifications area (usually the bottom right of the screen).
  2. Click the speaker icon
  3. Above the volume scrubber you should see something like
    Headphones (Bose SoundSport Stereo) ^
  4. Click the ^ (up arrow).  You should then see
    Select playback device
    all the other outputs that are available
  5. If you see Headset (Bose SoundSport Hands Free), then click that.

You will probably hear a difference in the audio (mono, and not as pleasant) AND the microphone should be working.

Does this work for you?

ST

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Ryan_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

Thank you for reaching out to us. We can confirm that the microphone on these headphones are designed specifically for mobile phones. To increase your chances of success, it would be best to check the computer manufacturer's website to update to the latest Bluetooth drivers and confirm that your computer is HSP-compatible (Headset Profile for Bluetooth). 

R_Strk
Participant
Registered since

Dec 26, 2016

Bluetooth driver on the PC is the most up to date one available.  I can't tell if the driver is "Headset Profile for Bluetooth".  I can't even find information about this on the web.  Are you suggesting that there are different classes of Bluetooth drivers?  If so, can you advise on where I might get the one to which you refer?  My experience is that the driver install is automatic and that the user is not offered options about which type or class of Bluetooth driver to install.  In any event I deleted the Bluetooth driver and reinstalled it just to be sure it is the most current version.  I'm not aware that mobile phones use different Bluetooth drivers than PCs with Windows 10 and have different capabilities.  Please explain.  Thanks.

ST - Hearphones
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by R_Strk

Hi R_Strk,

If the Bluetooth drivers loaded correctly, there will be two Bluetooth Profiles. Their names will be similar to

1. Headphones (Bose SoundSport Stereo) [This does not support using the microphone]
  2. Headset (Bose SoundSport Hands Free) [This is MONO but allows access to the microphone]

If things are working properly, an application that can use the microphone will automatically switch to the Headset profile. However, depending on the application you are using, you may need to manually switch the profile.

Are both profiles are installed? Here is how you can tell, and switch between them.

1. When you can hear sound through your SoundSport Wireless headphones look at the notifications area (usually the bottom right of the screen).
  2. Click the speaker icon
  3. Above the volume scrubber you should see something like
    Headphones (Bose SoundSport Stereo) ^
  4. Click the ^ (up arrow).  You should then see
    Select playback device
    all the other outputs that are available
  5. If you see Headset (Bose SoundSport Hands Free), then click that.

You will probably hear a difference in the audio (mono, and not as pleasant) AND the microphone should be working.

Does this work for you?

ST

View solution in original post

buce8buce
Participant
Registered since

Apr 18, 2017

i already changed to Headset (Bose SoundSport Hands Free) on the playback device. but still, i can't used the mic on my wireless soundsport. please help.

R_Strk
Participant
Registered since

Dec 26, 2016

Must admit that after learning that the the Soundsport only supports mono when the mic is enabled I never even bothered to try the solution offered.  I don't really want to go mono for all listening just to have the mic enabled.   I still regard this issue as a hugh miss on the part of Bose.  It is just hard to believe that they introduced a product like this to the market without ever getting it work with Windows 10 and current BlueTooth drivers.  So sad that I paid top dollar for a poorly developed product.

R_Strk
Participant
Registered since

Dec 26, 2016

Thanks very much for this helpful response.  After many hours of trying to find a solution your explanation was simple and easy.   Must admit that mono-audio is really difficult after having stereo but at least I can now use the headset mic on occasions when I need to do so.