Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SrWindings
Contributor
Registered since

May 20, 2018

Thinking About buying QC 35 II but I saw the frimware 2.5.1 concern

Hi, I was going to buy a pair QC35 II headset, but I saw all the posts about the frimware version 2.5.1, where they say that these update is causing no-reversible problems with the ANC, is this fixed or not? If I buy them, Should I update to 2.5.1 or wait until a new update?

I also saw a post where the say that if you update to 2.5.1 with a pc and with the cable that came with the headset, NOT with the Bose Connect app, you update to 2.5.1 without the ANC issue, is this true?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Wafflehat
Advocate
Registered since

Jan 22, 2017

Re: Thinking About buying QC 35 II but I saw the frimware 2.5.1 concern

Author Accepted Answer selected by SrWindings

Sadly, Bose will likely lock or delete your question regarding their latest firmware. They are not currently acknowledging any issues with the latest firmware (they don't want to hurt their brand by admitting any fault), even though their customers have repeatedly told them that the ANC has some pretty major and irreversable issues with the latest firmware. If you're thinking about buying the QC35 or QC35II, just don't upgrade the stock firmware. You can use them right out of the box without ever having the Bose app installed. Just don't upgrade them until Bose eventually gets this sorted out. I'm not sure why they aren't working on this, as their competition (Sony) has really pulled ahead of Bose in terms of noise cancellation technology.

And, since this will likely be removed... yes, there are issues. The ammount of audible hiss (white noise) has been increased to a very noticible level, while the pressure sensation has decreased significantly. This seems to render the noise cancellation as much less effective. I have a friend who upgraded his firmware (via PC) and we compared it to my stock firmware and there is actually a pretty big difference. I tried to help him to "downgrade" to earlier firmware, and it didn't change anything as far as the loud constant hiss and reduction in the percieved effectiveness of the noise cancellation. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Wafflehat
Advocate
Registered since

Jan 22, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by SrWindings

Sadly, Bose will likely lock or delete your question regarding their latest firmware. They are not currently acknowledging any issues with the latest firmware (they don't want to hurt their brand by admitting any fault), even though their customers have repeatedly told them that the ANC has some pretty major and irreversable issues with the latest firmware. If you're thinking about buying the QC35 or QC35II, just don't upgrade the stock firmware. You can use them right out of the box without ever having the Bose app installed. Just don't upgrade them until Bose eventually gets this sorted out. I'm not sure why they aren't working on this, as their competition (Sony) has really pulled ahead of Bose in terms of noise cancellation technology.

And, since this will likely be removed... yes, there are issues. The ammount of audible hiss (white noise) has been increased to a very noticible level, while the pressure sensation has decreased significantly. This seems to render the noise cancellation as much less effective. I have a friend who upgraded his firmware (via PC) and we compared it to my stock firmware and there is actually a pretty big difference. I tried to help him to "downgrade" to earlier firmware, and it didn't change anything as far as the loud constant hiss and reduction in the percieved effectiveness of the noise cancellation. 

SrWindings
Contributor
Registered since

May 20, 2018

Oh... And I suppose to can't use the Bose Connect app without this app updating automatically the QC35 II, right?
And if you disable internet connection for this app in settings? Would that work?
yesilpelikan
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 15, 2018

Also be careful if you ever decide to downgrade the firmware. Mine and some others' headset bricked during downgrade process and had to be replaced from warranty.

Wafflehat
Advocate
Registered since

Jan 22, 2017

You’re right. If you disable the internet connection, then it won’t be able to download the firmware update when you use the Bose Connect app.
SrWindings
Contributor
Registered since

May 20, 2018

Ok, thank you for all the help guys. I hope bose fixes this soon.