Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 31, 2019

Re: Noise Cancelling headphones 700 - Auto-off feature update

I have already returned my 700 headphones because of this problem. My QC35 I died, and the 700 was to replace it.

Without the 700's, I was going to buy a set of QC35 II because I figured they would be tried, tested and proven. Instead I have learned that they ALSO have a big problem with the firmware! The forum on that problem has over 150 pages! Evidently the ANC is not working with the present firmware and Bose will not allow users to revert to an earlier working firmware. What is going on with this company!?

Their headphones are great, when they are working, but it seems that their top two sets are not functional! I am going back to my reliable QC15's - I actually have 3 pair because the family liked them so well. I am going to buy a bluetooth receiver so I can use the QC15 in the living room and see if Bose can ever get their act together with the 700's. I wanted the 700's because of their outstanding phone performance.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Sep 8, 2019

Sadly it appears the company it not what it used to be! Mr. Bose passed away in 2013 and his Son last year. It shows! 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 4, 2019

I do question Bose's design process. It seems driven by engineering which "knows better" than its  customers what they need in terms of features.

@bosewhy don't you simply do a survey to see which use-case is more common among us between "forgetting to turn off our headphones overnight and having a depleted battery" and "using the headphones to sleep"?

Plus for forgetful people, you already enable them to turn off after a preset amount of time.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 19, 2019

I use a CPAP machine nightly and have been relying on QC’s for more than a decade (back to the model with the external battery compartment).  The quality of the headset only got better over time. However this auto off setting on the 700 doesn’t work and is causing me to rethink returning to the 35s. I don’t move in my sleep and I have the auto off setting set to never.  Every 10 minutes or so, the auto off activated and the noise cancellation turns off. Is it me or the system?  Will this be fixed with the new firmware update?

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 16, 2019

Welcome to the club. How long has it been now since Bose mentioned a firmware ‘fix’ for this lengthening the auto off time to one hour?  Notice that Bose hasn’t responded one single time since and not said one thing in this forum to any of our comments since?  It’s kind of ridiculous. Why have such a support forum when you’re not going to openly address any of our concerns or follow up with us on this firmware update that has already been long overdue. 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Nov 8, 2018

@Anne_S any time frames for when this update will go live? It’s frustrating that this post was created energy 2 months ago with no action taken.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 4, 2019

Hey Guys.  I followed the instructions about using the bose music app on my iPhone switched the turnoff to 40 minutes for me, but there is also never turn off.  Try it, works for me.   Let's enjoy a great machine.  Not perfect, but this workaround worked for me. I hope it does for everyone else until they fix the firmware.

John 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 20, 2019

My situation is negatively impacted by the automatic shutoff with my new Bose

noise cancelling headphones.  This is my fourth purchase over the past 6 years.. I think. 

I have to sleep with my headphones. I absolutely cannot sleep without them. 

I have to listen to music, or movies, or a season of shows that continue to play after each episode is over.  

My headphones turn off my thinking and distract my brain that otherwise keeps me up all night.  The headphones quiet my never ending thoughts. This strategy has literally changed my life and I am sleeping now.  

However, this new feature of automatically shutting off allows my brain to turn back on. I wake up about 3 times a night now to turn on my headphones. I reset the music, movie, or series of shows I chose to put me to sleep.

I truly understand how this new option may have seemed like a “helpful” support and I validate the thinking behind the idea. However,  I would like to offer the consideration that your Bose community are highly intelligent consumers and most often affluent people who can afford to by Bose.  (If you are a Bose customer.... you most likely live a comfortable life.  This is a high end product.).  We understand and accept the responsibility of turning off our headphones when not in use and we understand that charging is a must. 

So, I would like to offer this thinking. Turning off our headphones and charging our headphones, really should be on us.  That decision, if I may offer respectfully, should be ours to make. I would prefer to control the on and off of my device.

One more fun fact before I conclude... 

My husband snores a snore that is beyond measure on any scale and it can raise the roof to the highest high.  

For almost 6 years, my life-saving, noise cancelling headphones have also quieted the sound of the snoring.  Now that my headphones automatically shut off,  the snoring has become a challenge once again because my headphones turn off.  Even though my ears are still covered, I wake up because I hear the snoring. 

Thank you for listening and allowing me to share.  I am working through this new option and I still cannot live without my Bose.  I have to have them. 

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 16, 2019

Sounds like you need the QC-35 or another brand. Unfortunately the Bose 700 series will not allow you to sleep. Return them and buy the older version or another brand. 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Sep 8, 2019

John what everyone is complaining about is that there is an automatic shut off sensor built in these headphones so when the headset doesn’t move for 10 minutes it plays it’s loud shut off sound and powers down automatically. So for those wanting to be sleeping in them or take them on a train, plane or long automobile ride (on the passenger side) and want to get some rest it is impossible to NOT have them shut off. The features in the app only works for when the headphones detect movement. So thanks for trying, but even if they only shut off for 40 minutes and that did work, that will not work for people trying to sleep in them. So thx for trying! Not a fix!