Updated 12/7: SoundSport Free Audio/Video Delay

Community Manager

Updated 12/7: SoundSport Free Audio/Video Delay

Updated 12/7:

[Firmware Release 1.3.2]

A SoundSport Free software update is now available to improve audio video synchronization for most customers and use situations.  You can download the new software wirelessly through the Bose Connect app or by visiting btu.bose.com on your computer.  This update will benefit customers with Bluetooth devices that fully support Audio Video Distribution Transport Protocol (AVDTP) version 1.3 or later.  We have confirmed Apple iPhones and iPads use this protocol and we continue to evaluate other popular Bluetooth devices. Audio video synchronization may also vary depending on the mobile app being viewed (e.g. Netflix, YouTube).  We encourage customers to use the most recent software for your mobile apps, Bluetooth devices and Bose headphones.

Updated 11/16:

Our engineers have identified the cause for this issue and are currently working on a software update that will be made available to customers by mid-December. This update will substantially improve audio video synchronization for those using Bluetooth devices that fully support Audio Video Distribution Transport Protocol (AVDTP) version 1.3 or later. We have confirmed Apple iPhones and iPads use this protocol and we are currently evaluating other popular Bluetooth devices.

We’ll provide an update to you as soon as it’s ready. It will available via OTA (over the air) update through the Bose Connect app or at btu.bose.com. 

You may watch this community post or follow us on Twitter via @BoseService for updates.

Original Post 11/3:

SoundSport Free headphones are engineered for exercise and we hope you’ll enjoy them well beyond the gym. We’ve heard from some customers who are experiencing audio synchronization delays while watching select videos. We know truly wireless headphones are subject to some latency between audio and video, but the feedback we’ve received suggests the product isn’t performing how we expected. Our engineers are currently assessing this, and we’ll provide an update to you as soon as we’re able.

To receive the most updated information you can refer to this thread or follow us on Twitter at @BoseService.

367 REPLIES
Audible Advocate

Re: SoundSport Free Audio/Video Delay

Thank you for the update. I know I speak for a lot of customers when I say we’re glad you’re A. working on a fix and B. responding to our feedback and keeping us updated. I returned mine because of this issue, but if it’s fixed either with a hardware or software update, I will 100% be buying them again. Thank you!
Quiet Contributor

Nice to know something is being done about this.. was about to purchase two of these for me and my wife, i will hold off for now because we are for the majority will be using it with our Apple TV 4’s and the main use will be for watching tv shows and movies...
Friendly Fanatic

"designed for the gym" is a cop out. Designed for the gym means durability and water proofing..not "basic features of headphones".

This is such a travesty, i expected better than this from BOSE.

Soundsport Wireless were the best airphones I ever owned. Soundsport Free are garbage and I want my money back.

NO OTHER WIRELESS HEADSET has these issues...not even your OWN OTHER headsets.

Audible Advocate

OK...if you fix them within 2 days i'm good otherwise back to Amazon they go. The biggest reason I switched from these is literally the claims of a very strong bluetooth signal. Not only is that the same or worse than the original Soundsport wireless but there is this video delay. It's a shame because I like the sound.

Audible Advocate

Mine kept losing sync with each other so I returned them. I may consider buying them again if you fix the problem.
Friendly Fanatic

My wife and I both picked up a pair at the Bose store and were impressed by the audio quality however there is an issue with the left ear sporadically dropping out and immediately reconnecting along with the very noticable video audio lag.  My wife has already returned hers and picked up a pair of the regular Bose SoundSport.  I have 12 days left before my 30 day period is up so I'm really hoping something is resolved within the next week or I unfortunately will also be returning them and waiting in hopes the issue is resolved.  Gambling with a $249 purchasing hoping the issues get resolved after the 30 day period isn't something I want to do even though Bose has made good on their repuation in the past when there was a quality issue with the original SoundSport.  

Audible Advocate

Same as Flash_C4.  I trust Bose will come up with a solution to this problem as they have with other products suffering from quality issues.  However, my return window is about to close as well and I am interested in knowing if the lag is a hardware or software issue. If software I am okay with holding onto my unit and wait for the fix.  Otherwise, I will be returning my unit.

Can a Mod or Bose support employee please clarify for the benefit of all reading this thread?

Friendly Fanatic

While I enjoy the SoundSport Free for my morning workouts, I can't say the same about my daily commute on the way to work. I usually take the Metro for about an hour, on some days I listed to music. Other days I want to catch up with my favorite shows on Netflix or HBO using my mobile device, however audio synchronization delays while watching videos makes want to return these and be done with them.

Having said that, my return window is about to close and I am interested in knowing if the lag is a hardware or software issue. If software I am okay with holding onto my unit and wait for the fix.  If the issue is hardware related, I would like to know ASAP so that I can return them for a full refund and wait for Gen 2. However, if the issue is hardware related, I'd  wait as long Bose is willing to replace the defective units with ones that will be free of video lag.

Can a Mod or Bose support employee please clarify for the benefit of all reading this thread?

Friendly Fanatic

I'd love to hear from an actual tech/designer.

Why would headphones in 2017 have these issues? This isn't some new tech. This isn't some crazy feature. Being able to watch videos isn't a FEATURE...it is table steaks. 

the "meant for the gym not video" comment is so insulting and ridiuclous. I watch videos at the gym because its freaking 2017. 

How was this not known ahead of time. Were reviewers paid off? 

Is it even possible to fix this ?

The left earbud drops A TON. How could the connection be so bad? Is this a tech limitation because you cut corners ???

I really want my money back as I am not able to do a return.