Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rootbeer
Participant
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Volume increases/decreases when pluggin in QC20 earphones to Android phone

I've been having an odd problem with my QC20 in-ear headphones.  Often (maybe 50% of the time?) when I plug them in to my Android phone, the volume/mic will freak out.  The volume will go up to 100% or go down to 0% (the phone UI shows the volume control if I was pressing the buttons on the phone or on the cord), and the Android assistant will pop up (as if I was talking into the mic).  I'll generally unplug and then re-plug until the problem doesn't happen.  Sometimes I have to unplug and re-plug 5 or 6 times.  If I can get over the first 5 seconds or so, and everything is fine, the headphones work fine for hours and hours after that point.

I thought some of the physical buttons on the cord might be "stuck", but playing with them doesn't seem to help or hurt (and none are obviously stuck).

I thought it might have been my old phone (a Samsung S5), but I recently upgraded to a Pixel 3 and the problem happens just as much.  (The Pixel 3 requires a USB-C adapter jack, too.)

This happens if the headphones are recently charged or not.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tony_G
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Re: Volume increases/decreases when pluggin in QC20 earphones to Android phone

Author Accepted Answer selected by rootbeer

Hi rootbeer,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! If the issue you are experiencing is happening periodically with multiple devices it would point to an issue with the headphones in my opinion. I would contact your local support team for assistance. Here is a link you can use. Click on your country, scroll down until you see "Contact Us."

Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Huggtand
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 8, 2018

Headset button controller
App in playstore. It can set music level on plug in and out. Try if that app or similar override your phone.
rootbeer
Participant
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Thanks for the idea!

Sadly, it didn't help.  I tried both "Headset Button Controller" and "Headset Control Center" apps.  It seems they can no longer do much because the buttons are generally locked down as of Android 8 (and I'm on Android 9), so I can't unbind the volume buttons or anything like that.  That said, I tried having the apps reset the voloume when connecting in case that might help, and it did not.

"Headset Button Controller" has a debug mode where it will show a small notification when a button is pressed.  I tried this and then realized that the three buttons on my headset do not do anything at all!  I can't even change the volume with them.  I wonder if something is more badly broken in this headset.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Tony_G
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by rootbeer

Hi rootbeer,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! If the issue you are experiencing is happening periodically with multiple devices it would point to an issue with the headphones in my opinion. I would contact your local support team for assistance. Here is a link you can use. Click on your country, scroll down until you see "Contact Us."

Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

View solution in original post

Huggtand
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 8, 2018

Sorry to hear this.
The app is developed to help out android users with earphones designed from ios (the volume, play/pause thingy). It let the user use center button (play/pause) only. So it will probably disable the volume up and down.
My old i2m (or whatever the name is) is set to 10% volume when connected. And to be sure, it's also lowering the volume back to 10% after any plug out.

rootbeer
Participant
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

I contacted Bose support and they said since I'd seen the problem on two phones, it was likely an issue in the unit.  Since I was within the 1 year warranty, I was able to ship my old headset back, and they sent a replacement.  The replacement does not have the problem!  Thanks for all the suggestions!