cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Montago
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 14, 2017

Which Bluetooth Codecs does QC35 support ?

I can't find the specification for what Codecs / Profiles the QC35 support !

AAC - yes ?

APTx - no !

but what about LDAC, SBC and all the others ?

One thing i've noticed is that the audio quality is WAAAAY better when i use my PC and the Asus BT400 dongle rather than my Sony Z5 Compact phone. 

Android O will support LDAC, APTx, APTx HD and more ... wil QC35 support any of these ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tony_G
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Re: Which Bluetooth Codecs does QC35 support ?

Author Accepted Answer selected by Montago

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion. Currently, the codecs that the QC35 supports are AAC and SBC only.  

Thanks

Tony

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Tony_G
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Montago

Thanks for the great question. The supported profiles for the QC35 are Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP); Hands Free (HFP); Headphones (HSP); Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP); BTLE (Bluetooth Low Energy).

Hope that helped

Tony

juhagman+bose@gmail.com
Participant
Registered since

Aug 3, 2017

Thanks for the partial response. Could you specify which audio codecs are supported?

Montago
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 14, 2017

@Tony_G wrote:

Montago

Thanks for the great question. The supported profiles for the QC35 are Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP); Hands Free (HFP); Headphones (HSP); Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP); BTLE (Bluetooth Low Energy).

Hope that helped

Tony

Just like Juhagman - i'm actually not satisfied with the answer... i just didn't have time to make a reply, so here it is.

I asked about the Codecs'es which are supported, not the Bluetooth profiles... 

Tony_G
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by Montago

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion. Currently, the codecs that the QC35 supports are AAC and SBC only.  

Thanks

Tony

View solution in original post

Ahab
Participant
Registered since

Oct 20, 2017

Hi Tony,

thank you very much for your answer. But in this case I need to ask you how it is possible then to transfer high quality audio from Android devices to the QC35!? If only SBC works (as AAC works only on Sony Androids and iPhones) it does not sound like any high quality BT audio transfer to the phones is possible!? Can that be right?

THX!

Tony_G
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi Ahab

That's a great question. Let me see if I can get some clarification on this. Stay tuned.

Tony

Pilou42
Advocate
Registered since

Jul 19, 2017

Ahab wrote:

Hi Tony,

thank you very much for your answer. But in this case I need to ask you how it is possible then to transfer high quality audio from Android devices to the QC35!? If only SBC works (as AAC works only on Sony Androids and iPhones) it does not sound like any high quality BT audio transfer to the phones is possible!? Can that be right?

THX!

I'm not sure to understand your question. QC35 does not support Aptx or LDAC, the only "high quality" codecs. With SBC, the best profile is automatically choosen, but we're still talking about compressed music. As long as there's no AptX or LDAC support, you will never have "high quality" sound. But tbh, QC35 is not supposed to be used for "high quality", but for "high quality in lousy environment". You'd better verify your source has good SBC support.

Ahab
Participant
Registered since

Oct 20, 2017

@Pilou42

Ok, get it. If this statement is true, this already answers my question:
"QC35 is not supposed to be used for "high quality", but for "high quality in lousy environment"
THX!

Pilou42
Advocate
Registered since

Jul 19, 2017

I hope I did not mislead you.

I did not mean QC35 sound is bad or so. I just meant pure audiophiles swear only by 24 bits 96kHz external DAC (etc.) and so they use only wired headsets (since even aptx can't do that). With a bluetooth headset, you can forget about external DAC, since the DAC is inside QC35.

I can't judge QC35 DAC quality, since the source is already compressed (by SBC) but what I tried to meant, QC35 special value is the ANC. When you are in the street, subway, plane etc., you don't care if source is mp3, SBC, aptX, flac 5.1 96kHz, you don't care if your heaset is able to have a good response at 20Hz. You just want to be out of this sh*ty noise environment with a bit of music.

tl;dr: if you want a headset to use in a lousy environment, you don't care about aptX. Noise reduction is the principal factor. You just have to hope your smartphone as decent SBC support (not like Z5 compact, from OP).

If you want a headset for a silent environment, don't spend money in a headset whose price is high because of ANC.