Which Bose headphones to purchase? ONLY to block office noise, not play anything through speakers

Highlighted
Silent Starter

Which Bose headphones to purchase? ONLY to block office noise, not play anything through speakers

My technology employer decided to remove all office walls and cublicals and go to a wide open office format, which has increased noise levels dramatically. I am looking for a set of headphones ONLY to block the surrounding noise - not to play music, not to go to a telephone, not to have anything go through speakers, bluetooth or anything. I do not even need speakers - none of the electronics. I only want quiet so that I can concentrate and do my job as a software engineer. 

For now, I am using 3M over-the-ear "hearing protection safety ear muffs", and these work decent. 

Read reviews about the Bose QuietComfort 35, however I do not need the speaker/bluetooth piece or the price that goes with it. Realized that for much less, using the same headphone structure is the Bose QuietComfort 25. I would like to know how low I can go in the Bose price-point to get the same physical structure of the headphone to block out noise, without any regard to the electronics, speakers or functionality?

Does Bose make just a "safety ear muff" that does not contain speakers? 

Or am I going to be able to block out office just us as well by using my Home Depot 3M Construction "hearing protection safety ear muffs" as opposed to buying a Bose set of headphones?

Thank you kindly,

Mark

2 REPLIES

Re: Which Bose headphones to purchase? ONLY to block office noise, not play anything through spea...

Hi MarkGerardy

Thanks for posting in the Community!

At this time, we do not manufacture a non-music noise cancelling headset.  For the best price point, the QC25 would be the best option as it does not have all the bells and whistles like the QC35 II headset.  

To be perfectly honest though, I would recommend what you are currently doing and using a passive noise cancellation headset if you're just looking to dampen the noise around you.  

Perhaps other users on the Community could chime in as well?

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Animated Arbiter

Re: Which Bose headphones to purchase? ONLY to block office noise, not play anything through spea...

Yes I don't think you want a noise cancelling headphone in an office for several reasons.

- The white noise could bother you if you wore it all day long.

- Maybe linked to this white noise, but I don't think it's good for ears to use these headphones for too long time, even without music, it can trouble your brain for abnormal sensations (I don't know how to really describe it).

- Active noise cancellation is not that good for voices, and you will still hear your collegues on phone for example.

On the other end, passive noise cancellation is not a good solution if it compresses your head too much. :/

I understand your frustration about open spaces (it's a bad idea from the beginning obviously), but if your boss removed walls, I'm not sure he will accept your headset and will perceive it as a provocation.

I don't know if you're important in your company, but your best bet is to talk with your employer and your collegues. But I don't know if employees are protected in your country.