Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 24, 2018

White noise when noise cancelling is off QC30

I was reading this thread, which for some strange reason is locked now.

I have the same problem. When I turn noise cancelling completely off on my brand new QC30, I hear a lot of white noise. It's quite loud and sounds like static. I can even hear it when I have something playing on my Android, especially when it is a podcast of people talking. As I start turning the noise cancellation on gradually, this white noise goes away and I gradually start listening to the white noise of noise cancellation (which is different and less annoying).

In short... using the QC30 doesn't make sense at all!

• when I'm in a completely silent environment, since it is adding white noise no matter how I configure noise cancellation
  • when I want to have noise cancellation off, since it is adding significant background noise.

Why is that?

In the thread above the Bose employee redirects the user to support, but it seems to be that this is by design and support won't be able to help.

I can still return the headset to Amazon... should I?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 8, 2018

Re: White noise when noise cancelling is off QC30

I know. They behave like this.
These are flawed
There is a break even point after approximately 60% NC. Below the white noise is embarrassingly loud.
These are great for ear fatigue for long time listening in office or whatever. They beat all most all in ear with respect to this.
They are decent actually. Keep them, but beware of updating firmware. If they work don't fix. I will never ever update these again. Im staying at 1.3.6.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 24, 2018

Thanks for your reply. This is crazy this set costs 250 euros. My old cheap 30 Euros Bluetooth headset doesn't have any such noise. No matter how good the noise cancellation is, having background crying noise just stupid. And none of the reviews I read about this headset mentioned anything. Everybody was talking about how awesome this headset is. But this is just crap.

I just updated the firmware to see if there is any difference. nothing!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 8, 2018

Wish the soundsport wireless had the same design on the ear pieces instead of the existing mushroom shape. Would then have switched.
Its annoying. It really is. If you can return these and don't mind over head earphones, choose qc35. They are superb. You can ride a bike - fast - and no wind noise amplifying at all. Try the same with QC30...oh boy.
Highlighted
Mentor
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

@papadi the problem is that there isn't really an "off" mode for ANC on this product.  As you turn it down, Bose starts producing less and less of the noise cancellation signal, and instead start passing through the outside noise.  But rather than just pass it through, they seem to actually be taking whatever the exterior noise-cancelling microphones pick up from your ambient surroundings and amplifying it and mixing it in with your music or other source audio.  Doing so, especially in a quiet room, will end up producing amplifier white noise, which is what I believe you are hearing.  

So in effect, there is no "off" switch for the ANC, really.  You can lessen the intensity of the cancellation signal being mixed in, and as you go lower and lower on the ANC dial, you start mixing in outside nosie being amplified.  I think this explains the approx. 60% break even point that @Huggtand mentioned--that's the point where the ANC signal is low enough that you start noticing the white noise from the amplified external noise being piped in.

*** Please Note: I do not work for Bose; please don't private message me your support questions!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 24, 2018

Thanks Mutnat, this makes perfect sense. In fact we made this realization yesterady - another colleague has the same set and we have been discussing about it. So this is supposed to be a feature to allow the user to hear ambient sound without taking the headset off. Very poorly impelemented feature though!

The worst and most annoying thing is that Bose support people cannot explain this and instead suggest nonsense which will just annoy the customers and bother them with useless replacements. When I called Bose support, they told me that it seems that both mine my colleague's headsets happen to be defected and we should return them for a replacement. I see that a moderator in this site also suggested another user to contact support for the same issue (look here) and then locked the thread**.

Absolute ignorants!

** I also see your reply again in the bottom! 😄