Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emorgoch
Participant
Registered since

Oct 26, 2017

Windows 10 freezing

I just bought a pair of CQ35 series 2, and I'm loving how well they are working with my iPhone.

However, I've also been trying to connect them to my laptop at work to use as a headset with Skype for Business, and it's been giving me issues.

The laptop is a Dell E7470, running Windows 10 (v1703, build 15063.674). It's got an Intel bluetooth adapter, for which I've installed the latest drivers (v 19.60.0.3, dated 07/04/2017)

I've connected my CQs to the laptop, and audio output works decently enough. I have the default playback device set to the CQ "Headphones", while the default comm device is set to the CQ "Headset". However, when I try and set the the default recording device to be the CQ "Headset", Windows locks itself up. My mouse remains active, and I can work with other applications, but everything else in Windows Explorer becomes unresponsive. The sound manager sits with a spinning cursor, and I can't launch any new applications, nor can I restart the system. Can't launch Task Manager either.

Have there been any other reports about this? I'm going to be contacting Dell as well to see if they have any suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ST - Hearphones
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Re: Windows 10 freezing

Author Accepted Answer selected by emorgoch

Hi @emorgoch

Here's a little more information.

I'm running Window 10 version 1709 build 16299.189 and Skype for Business 2016 version 1709 build 8528.2139.

Just finished a 40 minute call on Skype for Business with my QC35. 

I had trouble with Windows 10 1703 and things are better with 1709 (Fall Creators Update).

ST

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Mohsin_S
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hey emorgoch!

Thanks for reaching out to the community. I appreciate your level of detail and also congrats on your new QC35 Series II headset! 

I have not heard any reports on this. Is it the same for any Bluetooth headset? Please do share what you find out from Dell if possible. 

Thanks again,

Mohsin

ST - Hearphones
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hi @emorgoch,

You may need to update your version of Windows and Skype for business. There have been issues with Bluetooth devices when using Windows 10 Creators update with Skype for Business.  You can read about that in this discussion

Trouble w/ Bluetooth Headset after Creators Update

Please let us know if that helps.

Thank you,

ST

ST - Hearphones
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by emorgoch

Hi @emorgoch

Here's a little more information.

I'm running Window 10 version 1709 build 16299.189 and Skype for Business 2016 version 1709 build 8528.2139.

Just finished a 40 minute call on Skype for Business with my QC35. 

I had trouble with Windows 10 1703 and things are better with 1709 (Fall Creators Update).

ST

View solution in original post

emorgoch
Participant
Registered since

Oct 26, 2017

Hey guys,

Just wanted to pop back in and let you know that I've updated my system to 1709, and that has helped the stability issues. I can connect my QC35II to skype, and *can* have meetings with them.

However, it's still not a seemless expecience. As it stands, once I've got them connected, I have windows set to output default audio to the "Headphones" device. This way, I can listen to music, and have reasonable fidelity. And then in S4B, I have it set to output the audio to custom devices, and set them to output as stated in this thread.

The issue I'm facing now is if some other program initiates a noise when I'm in a skype call (ie. think of a notification beep from Outlook). I end up missing like 10-20 seconds of the skype call, presumably because the audio is dropping from the "headset" device, redirecting to the "headphones" device, waiting until all the sound is clear from the "headphones", and then reconnecting the "headset".

I did try using the "headphones" as the audio output device in Skype, but then the mic wouldn't work. So overall, they haven't been a great device for taking skype calls with. But they work great to listen to music through-out the day with, both connected to my PC or to my phone.