Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 24, 2018

Wireless earphone with a (lower version) bluetooth transmitter?

Hi,

I will ‘soon’ receive the QC30, and was researching how to make use of this in the plane. There are helpful threads, basically saying a bluetooth transmitter is all is need.

https://community.bose.com/t5/Headphones-Archive/Connecting-QC30-to-in-flight-entertainment-system/t...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P24XKS8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1%C2%A0

Well, that is what I already use for my SoundSport wireless. I actually have the same Taotronics that is stated there, however this transmitter has only a bluetooth 2.1 version. While the QC30 and Soundsport Wireless has version 4.2.

So the question is:

a) While the transmitter with v2.1 still connect, is the sound and battery use worse?

b) Rather than ‘just’ buy a new transmitter with version 4.2+, is there any advantages when connecting the earphones with ‘higher’ bluetooth versions?

Thanks, I hope the answer could be a ‘bit’ technical to understand the differences!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 24, 2018

Re: Wireless earphone with a (lower version) bluetooth transmitter?

Author Accepted Answer selected by Narindo

Hi Shiloh,

Thanks for responding! I did some digging myself into the internet since it seems so quiet on this topic, and finally found something to understand it better (this is just internet search, so not based on experience or any in-depth understanding).

1) Is the A2DP profile different for Bluetooth 2.1 vs 4.2?

I was assuming then, if the A2DP had newer specifications, then 2.1 might not have gotten it then. Well, it seems that A2DP v1.3.1 (current) was adopted on 15 July 2015, bluetooth 2.1 was adopted in July 2017. So I now assume that bluetooth v4.2 might have a ‘better’ A2DP specification than the bluetooth v2.1

2) Does v4.2 consume lower energy than v2.1?

This was a bit confusing. Since Bluetooth 4.2 is known for it’s low energy use, but it sometimes refers to that apps or devices could keep a connection without using much energy (like energy meters, health monitors). It wasn’t clear whether using a constant audio stream would save energy or it would just be the same. But here it seems that the energy efficiency of keeping the wireless connection is different per specification. So, my guess is in lay men terms, a bluetooth 2.1 transmitter will use more energy than a transmitter with v4.2. But I doubt it make a difference on the Bose earphones with Bluetooth 4.2 that connect either to a 4.2 or 2.1 bluetooth transmitter. 

Anyway, a long way of saying, I guess having a higher specificied bluetooth transmitter (V4.2 that matches the headset’s specification) will get slightly better codecs (A2DP) and the power consumption of a bluetooth transmitter v4.2 might be better than a v2.1.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Aug 25, 2017

Hey Narindo!

Thanks for reaching out, those are great questions.

Audio quality might be a concern, as newer codecs support wider bandwidth for audio (see this article).  How much better or how perceivable it would be would come down to the source device and the amount of compression that particular adapter applies.  All Bluetooth audio is compressed by nature, so I don't think that a 2.1 vs. 4.2+ rated Bluetooth should matter that much.

I hope this explanation helped!  

Enjoy your day and take care,

Shiloh 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 24, 2018

Author Accepted Answer selected by Narindo

Hi Shiloh,

Thanks for responding! I did some digging myself into the internet since it seems so quiet on this topic, and finally found something to understand it better (this is just internet search, so not based on experience or any in-depth understanding).

1) Is the A2DP profile different for Bluetooth 2.1 vs 4.2?

I was assuming then, if the A2DP had newer specifications, then 2.1 might not have gotten it then. Well, it seems that A2DP v1.3.1 (current) was adopted on 15 July 2015, bluetooth 2.1 was adopted in July 2017. So I now assume that bluetooth v4.2 might have a ‘better’ A2DP specification than the bluetooth v2.1

2) Does v4.2 consume lower energy than v2.1?

This was a bit confusing. Since Bluetooth 4.2 is known for it’s low energy use, but it sometimes refers to that apps or devices could keep a connection without using much energy (like energy meters, health monitors). It wasn’t clear whether using a constant audio stream would save energy or it would just be the same. But here it seems that the energy efficiency of keeping the wireless connection is different per specification. So, my guess is in lay men terms, a bluetooth 2.1 transmitter will use more energy than a transmitter with v4.2. But I doubt it make a difference on the Bose earphones with Bluetooth 4.2 that connect either to a 4.2 or 2.1 bluetooth transmitter. 

Anyway, a long way of saying, I guess having a higher specificied bluetooth transmitter (V4.2 that matches the headset’s specification) will get slightly better codecs (A2DP) and the power consumption of a bluetooth transmitter v4.2 might be better than a v2.1.

View solution in original post