Highlighted
lordabot
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 4, 2019

external interference with volume control

In the morning, walking to the gym downtown Portland Oregon and at the gym, no problem.  Leaving the gym in the afternoon, the volume control has a mind of its own!  Sometimes the volume keeps turning up, other times it turns down.  I can't keep up with it and have to turn the headphones off.  And yet there are days when there is no problem at all.  I'm just assuming this is some kind of bluetooth interference, but I don't know how to get control of it.

8 REPLIES 8
Community Manager

Re: external interference with volume control

Hi lordabot,

Thanks for posting on the Community and welcome!  Sorry to hear about the troubles, but would be happy to help!

• Can you let us know which model headset you are using?
  • Have you tried on a different mobile device at all to see if the is reproducible? 
  • Has the headset been updated?  If it's a Bluetooth headset, you can navigate to btu.bose.com to see if there is one available by connecting the headset to the PC with the USB cable.  

Let us know so we can further assist!

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

lordabot
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 4, 2019

Thanks for your reply!

I have the On Ear Wireless Headphone.  

I don't have another mobile device than the one smartphone, a Samsung Galaxy 8 Plus.

I downloaded the updater, but it told me that my firmware version 1.0.0 is the latest available.

I installed the Bose Connect app on my phone, but it doesn't find my Headphones and the help text there doesn't list my model headphone.

I hope you have some other thoughts on what could be causing this volume issue.

Thanks,

Bob Palmer

Community Manager

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the update!

That would make sense, since the On-Ear Wireless is not compatible with the Bose Connect app.  This is definitely strange since it appears to only occur on the walk home.  Can we try and clear the pairing list of the headset and removing it from the Bluetooth list of the Samsung device?  If this does not resolve the issue, it may be worth trying to clear the cache on the Samsung device. To do so, follow these steps HERE.

Let us know how it goes!

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

lordabot
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 4, 2019

Thanks, Tony. I unpaired, cleared cache, restarted and re-paired.  I'll head out to the gym again tomorrow and we'll see how it goes.

The only things I can think of that are different in the afternoon than in the morning, there is more foot and car traffic (starting rush hour), so maybe more bluetooth devices near me, or more different kinds of bluetooth devices that might interfere.  But the problem begins as I walk our of the lockerroom in the same building where I had no problem on the gym floor.  Does my bluetooth version matter?  From what I've read, bluetooth is supposed to constantly change channels to avoid interference.  I have Android version 8.0.0, if that tells you anything about the bluetooth version.  Also, I have a Garmin Vivoactive HR watch that's paired with my phone...could that cause a problem?  I also wonder if the interference is with my phone or with the headphones. 

I'll post back tomorrow with results.

lordabot
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 4, 2019

Glad to report that I had an uneventful volume control experience yesterday.  So far so good!  I'll give it another week to say the issue is resolved.

Thanks for your help.

Bob Palmer

Community Manager

Hi Bob,

That's great to hear!  Definitely keep us in the loop and let us know if anything else comes up.

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

lordabot
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 4, 2019

After a week, 3 more outings with my headphones, I can report "better" results.  A couple times I had uncontrolled increases in volume.  It occurred to me that one thing that happens when I leave the gym is that my phone is switching from wifi to cell connection.  When I had the couple more times uncontrolled volume after leaving the gym, I switched off the wifi.  I THINK that might have worked because I didn't have the problem for the rest of my walk home, but then the problem wasn't as bad to begin with, as frequent and changing the volume as much before I did this, so maybe the situation has improved.

So, maybe some improvement was made by the actions you had me take.  Not sure if my wifi speculation amounts to anything.

If you reply, I'll click "Accept as Solution".  Hopefully that will be true!

Hello Bob,

Thanks for the follow-up.

We're glad to see everything is working better for you.

Keep an eye on this and let us know if anything changes.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support