Highlighted
BHorne
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 13, 2019

iTunes Launching when second paired devise sends audio

I'm expericing a very strage issue with my QC35II, and this is after I have updated to the latest firmware (Version 4.3.6). To be clear, I do not think that it has anything to do with the firmware udate or even the firmware version.

I have two devices paired with my QC35II.... my iMac desktop computer running OS Ver. 10.11.6, and my Cisco 8861 desktop phone. And just for clarity, the desktop and the 8861 phone are not paired to each other.

The problem is that when streaming music from my desktop (Pandora for axample), and then I get an incoming call from my deskphone, somehow this causes iTunes to be launched on the desktop.

Any assistance and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Brian

7 REPLIES 7

Re: iTunes Launching when second paired devise sends audio

Hi Brian!

Thank you for reaching out to the community.

This is a very interesting unique issue. Is this something that happens all the time? Can this be reproduced or does it happen sometimes?

Kind Regards,

Brandon_C - Community Support

BHorne
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 13, 2019

Hi Brandon,

It seems to be 98% reproducable.

The last 2% is some slight irregularities between weather or not the music from the first devise is currentlly streaming with the bluetooth connection, vs. if you pause the audio from the desktop (or if it just isn't active, but is the most recent bluetooth stream connection). My most recent test results were that it didn't matter either way, but previous results were that if the music was paused prior to answering, the iTunes app didn't startup.

A collegue of mine did find something about OS X launching iTunes when bluetooth speakers were connected.... I was just beginning to dig into that a bit deeper before I left work for the day.

Bedst wishes!

Brian

BHorne
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 13, 2019

Hi Brandon,

* (I'm copying and pasting my reply from before directly into you question. Seems as though you didn't see it previously, and also providing an update)

It seems to be 98% reproducable.

The last 2% is some slight irregularities between weather or not the music from the first devise is currentlly streaming with the bluetooth connection, vs. if you pause the audio from the desktop (or if it just isn't active, but is the most recent bluetooth stream connection). My most recent test results were that it didn't matter either way, but previous results were that if the music was paused prior to answering, the iTunes app didn't startup.

A collegue of mine did find something about OS X launching iTunes when bluetooth speakers were connected.... I was just beginning to dig into that a bit deeper before I left work for the day.

**Update, this was not sucessful in my case. iTunes still launces when the audio stream to the headphones switches over to the deskphone.

Best wishes!

Brian

Hi BHorne, 

Many thanks for providing us with an update to this issue. 

This is a very strange occurrence. From doing some research (i'm assuming you and your friend were on the same lines) there appears to be a function within the Itunes app which automatically launches when it detects a Bluetooth device/Apple device.

Can i ask if you could try this to see if it helps at all? - From the iTunes menu at the top go to iTunes>Preferences>Devices>Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically.

Many thanks

Leon_C - Community Support

BHorne
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 13, 2019

Hello,

Yes, that option was set in iTunes to not open iTuens in the event of detecting those devices.

Also, I have tried disabeling the iTuensHelperApp (by renaming it), but this didn't help either.

Brian

Many thanks for trying this for me Brian, 

I'm afraid you may have to contact Apple regarding this issue as it appears to be an issue directly with Itunes.

I'm sorry we could not resolve the issue for you at this time, but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Many thanks

Leon_C 

grmedhat
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 7, 2019

I don't know if this help anyone or not to but I too use a MBP running OS X  but v10.14.3.

I checked the iTunes preferences given above and from my experience checking that box only applies when connecting any iDevice to the computer via a USB cable, not off-the-air.

To BHorne. from the Apple menu go to System Preferences > Bluetooth > Advanced button > and see if 'Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer' is checked. I believe its ON by default. If it is and wake is not needed uncheck it and see if makes any difference. A long shot perhaps but might be worth trying.