Anybody else hearing high-pitched clicking noises?

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter

Anybody else hearing high-pitched clicking noises?

I'm hearing repetitive high-pitched clicking noises in my home and in some other buildings. Nobody else can hear them.

I have not been able to identify the source of the noises. They happen most but not all of the time in my home. Occasionally stop for some hours. Almost always clicking away when I put my hearphones in after I get up. I think of them as alien morse code signals. They have a morse-code-like pattern.

They get annoying so I drop the treble-base range about 8 points down into the bass register, but that makes it more difficult to understand speech. 

5 REPLIES
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Anybody else hearing high-pitched clicking noises?

Hi bhaugen,

Hmmm, that's an interesting question.

I don't hear any high-pitched clicking noises when I use my Hearphones.

Do you carry any other electronic devices when you're wearing your Hearphones?

ST

Animated Arbiter

@ST wrote:

> Do you carry any other electronic devices when you're wearing your Hearphones?

Just my android phone, which is paired with my hearphones. And the noises are intermittent, and happen often in some environments, never in other environments.

Audible Advocate

Are these sounds in isolation and all by themselves?  

When I have the treble up a bit, things like running water or rustling paper or even footsteps have an initial attack sound that might be described as clicking.   I can turn down the treble to a level that makes it go away, but then clarity of speech gets reduced.   My solution is to pick a good compromise and get used to it.  I’m finding it strange that leaving it alone for a few days makes it seem normal, and then any change from there seems wrong again for a while....  it’s amazing how your brain adapts.  

But it if they are not related to some other sounds and are actually spontaneous clicks, maybe you have a technical problem. 

Animated Arbiter

@BobHickling wrote:

> Are these sounds in isolation and all by themselves?  

Not sure I understand. They are repetitive, will go on like morse code for hours.

> When I have the treble up a bit, things like running water or rustling paper or even footsteps have an initial attack sound that might be described as clicking.  

I'm familiar with that. This is very different. It's not a sharp attack, it's more like chirps. Crickets.

> I can turn down the treble to a level that makes it go away, but then clarity of speech gets reduced.   My solution is to pick a good compromise and get used to it.  I’m finding it strange that leaving it alone for a few days makes it seem normal, and then any change from there seems wrong again for a while....  it’s amazing how your brain adapts.  

True that.

> But it if they are not related to some other sounds and are actually spontaneous clicks, maybe you have a technical problem. 

I don't think they are caused by the Hearphone electronics. They happen in some settings, but not others. And while they go on for hours in those settings, they do also stop for hours. 

I feel like it's a sound that I am hearing because I crank my Hearphone World Volume up into the 60s and then slightly raise the treble, which is best me to understand speech. (My ears are pretty bad.) So with the combination of those setings, I am hearing noises that other people do not hear. But I have not identified the source of the noises yet.

Animated Arbiter

> > if they are not related to some other sounds and are actually spontaneous clicks, maybe you have a technical problem. 

> I don't think they are caused by the Hearphone electronics. They happen in some settings, but not others. 

Now I am really confused. Previously, I had only heard the morse-code-like chirps in and around buildings, so figured they were actual external sounds that nobody else could hear.

But yesterday I heard the same sounds while walking on a forested country road with no buildings or electrical wires in sight and no electronics on me other than my hearphones.

So I am starting to wonder if they are generated by the hearphones and I have a technical problem.

Will do some experiments. If anybody can think of a good experiment to try, please let me know.