Highlighted
Autstic1
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

Anyone who is autistic / aspie trying these headphones?

I was recently diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder - I have a bilateral high freq hearing loss as the reason I'm considering these headphones - but also know many others on the spectrum who use noise canceling headphones to better cope with auditory over-stimulation. I have not seen others talk about these on the groups/ forums I'm in.. This could be something very useful for us!

Are there any programs Bose has that might help people with autism explore the possibilities of using these for other than hearing loss?

Spoiler

5 REPLIES 5
Community Manager

Re: Anyone who is autistic / aspie trying these headphones?

Hi Autstic1,

Thank you for joining the Bose Hear Community. I appreciate your thoughts and comments.

"Are there any programs Bose has that might help people with autism explore the possibilities of using these for other than hearing loss?"

Bose Hearphones are not a medical device, and we don't recommend them for people with a medical condition. Bose Hearphones are designed to improve the ability of the general population to hear conversations in noisy environments.

"I was recently diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder - I have a bilateral high freq hearing loss as the reason I'm considering these headphones "

The best way to know if Bose Hearphones will be useful for you is to try them. You can do that in a Bose retail store, or purchase them from Bose online. Bose offers a 30-day trial. Please follow the link for details.

I'm glad you joined us.

ST

Autstic1
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

I wanted to respond to this reply...

"Bose Hearphones are not a medical device, and we don't recommend them for people with a medical condition. Bose Hearphones are designed to improve the ability of the general population to hear conversations in noisy environments."

My guess is that the hearing aid manufacturers and lobbies want to keep their monopoly on the hearing aid industry and Bose has to error on the extreme to be sure this product is not marketed as a medical device - I'm personally glad Bose is giving the general public something that enhances our personal hearing experience as these do - I know they are not medical devices or "hearing aids" and never thought for a moment that is what they are.

That said- Autism is not a disease or something to be cured. It is a neurological difference.  - Just as non-autistic people manage their personal needs, so do autistic people.  Some of us have senses that are very heightened.  We can block uncomfortable noise by just putting our hands over our ears - or wearing ear plugs - Those re not medical interventions any more than sun glasses. Nor are these Bose Conversation Enhancing Earphones- Just like a non-autistic person benefits from noise canceling headphones - so do Autistic people.

I just want to emphasize - that unfortunately Autism and autistic people are grossly misunderstood. Autism is our normal - We have different needs but if different equals disabled or "diseased" then so is everyone who is not Autistic. Please do not perpetuate this misunderstanding by portraying autistic people as sick or broken. We just have a different normal than you. 🙂

I know many in my community who truly love their Bose products - I think these headphones may be a wonderful option for those with Autism just like those who are not autistic. I will be getting one of these headphones for myself and telling my community about another wonderful option from Bose if these work out as well as I think they might.

Thank you Bose - Your products benefit EVERYONE'S Lives including those with Autism !

Community Manager

Hi, Autstic1.

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry if my reply has mischaracterized Autism.

As Bose Hearphones are designed to improve the ability of the general population to hear conversations in noisy environments, we don't recommend them for other applications. However, Bose offers a 30-day trial so you can find out if Bose Hearphones will be useful for you.

I hope you will come back and tell us about your experiences with your Bose Hearphones.

Sincerely,

ST

Autstic1
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

Conversation enhansing hearphones for people with autism

I am autistic and I'm trying these hearphones as I type this message - I want to propose to Bose, that we discuss how to make autistic people more aware of this product and possibly more available as well. I believe these could be of great benefit to my community. I've already been posting on our group page about my experience with them and a number of people are truly interested. Bose Noise-cancelling headphones are already popular but these add a new capability beyond canceling. I can see these being of great benefit to autistic children as well. I just see this as a win-win for all involved.

Community Manager

Re: Conversation enhansing hearphones for people with autism

Hi, Autstic1;

Thank you for your comments and participation here. I will forward your thoughts to our Bose Hear team.

Please feel free to invite people in your community to join the conversation here.

Thank you.