Highlighted
Nata Harli
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 17, 2019

Bluetooth connection to TV

One of the main things I'd like to use my Hearphones for is to watch TV and hear the audio through my Hearphones. I've been using headphones with a cable strung across my phone and would like to eliminate that by using Bluetooth.

I've found 2 options, neither of which I've been able to get to work.

Option 1: This is the option I prefer. I've got an external Bluetooth transmitter hooked to the audio out on my TV and have been trying to pair it to my Hearphones. I can't figure out whether I need to do this through the app on my phone or whether I can do it directly and leave my phone app out of the equation.

Option 2: Most Samsung TVs now come with Bluetooth enabled. I spent over an hour with an employee at Costco trying to pair my Hearphones with the TV. Neither of us could figure out how to do it. I'd go for this option if it's the only one that works, but it would involve purchasing a new TV so I'd rather to with Option 1.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager

Re: Bluetooth connection to TV

Author Accepted Answer selected by Nata Harli

Hi, Nata Harli.

Thank you for joining the Bose Hear Community.

This is an interesting question. Let's make sure we understand what you are trying to do.

You wrote, "I'd like to use my Hearphones for is to watch TV and hear the audio through my Hearphones. "

With my Samsung TV (about two years old), I can set up a Bluetooth connection to my Bose Hearphones. That's great for private viewing* when I don't want to disturb others.  However, there is no sound through the TV speakers. If you're watching the TV with others, everyone hears the sound through the TV speakers. You get to manage what you hear with the Hearphones WORLD VOLUME.

Option 2:  Connecting the TV to Bose Hearphones

Here's an article from Samsung. Connect a Bluetooth Device to Your Samsung TV

If that doesn't help please give us a link to the owners manual for your TV. I'd be happy to read that with you and confirm whether or not the TV can transmit sound to a Bluetooth device like your Hearphones.

NOTE: There will be some delay (latency) between what you see on the TV and what you hear.  Depending on how closely you watch, this may or may not be an issue for you.

Option 1:  TV to Bluetooth transmitter to Bose Hearphones

This should work, but it's more complicated than option 2 above.  Note: When you use the headphone output from the TV, you will not get sound from the TV speakers.  

If we can't get option 2 to work, we can explore using the external Bluetooth transmitter. If you want to do that, please give us a link to the owner's manual for the Bluetooth transmitter.

Thanks,

ST 

*Here is a little more information about Bose Hearphones - Watching TV - Private and Social Listening

5 REPLIES 5
Morlock
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

You would be better off with the new TV with inbuilt BT.  This is due to the lag you often get with non-built in transmitters.

However, don't just assume because a TV has BT, it has a BT transmitter.  There are still plenty of TVS out there that receive BT (for music from phones) rather than output BT to speakers/headsets.  You can also still get lag from these depending on the quality of TV.

As for connecting, it generally isn't through the app, it's just a matter of figuring out which device to put into pairing mode first.  Sometimes you put the TV into pairing mode and then when you put the headphones into pairing mode they both sense each other.  Othertimes you have to do the headphones first.

Community Manager

Author Accepted Answer selected by Nata Harli

Hi, Nata Harli.

Thank you for joining the Bose Hear Community.

This is an interesting question. Let's make sure we understand what you are trying to do.

You wrote, "I'd like to use my Hearphones for is to watch TV and hear the audio through my Hearphones. "

With my Samsung TV (about two years old), I can set up a Bluetooth connection to my Bose Hearphones. That's great for private viewing* when I don't want to disturb others.  However, there is no sound through the TV speakers. If you're watching the TV with others, everyone hears the sound through the TV speakers. You get to manage what you hear with the Hearphones WORLD VOLUME.

Option 2:  Connecting the TV to Bose Hearphones

Here's an article from Samsung. Connect a Bluetooth Device to Your Samsung TV

If that doesn't help please give us a link to the owners manual for your TV. I'd be happy to read that with you and confirm whether or not the TV can transmit sound to a Bluetooth device like your Hearphones.

NOTE: There will be some delay (latency) between what you see on the TV and what you hear.  Depending on how closely you watch, this may or may not be an issue for you.

Option 1:  TV to Bluetooth transmitter to Bose Hearphones

This should work, but it's more complicated than option 2 above.  Note: When you use the headphone output from the TV, you will not get sound from the TV speakers.  

If we can't get option 2 to work, we can explore using the external Bluetooth transmitter. If you want to do that, please give us a link to the owner's manual for the Bluetooth transmitter.

Thanks,

ST 

*Here is a little more information about Bose Hearphones - Watching TV - Private and Social Listening

Community Manager

Hi Morlock,

Thanks for joining the conversation.  Let me respond to your thoughts below.

"You would be better off with the new TV with inbuilt BT.  This is due to the lag you often get with non-built in transmitters."

Built-in transmitters may or may not affect the lag (latency).

To reduce the latency you need support for low-latency Bluetooth at both ends of the connection: transmitter and the receiver.  The TV may support low-latency Bluetooth (aptX or aptX-LL) with a built-in transmitter. If it doesn't, low-latency Bluetooth is available in external Bluetooth transmitters. 

On the receiving end, you also need support for low-latency Bluetooth. Bose Hearphones do not have this support (aptX or aptX-LL).  There will be some latency when watching TV and listening via Bluetooth through your Bose Hearphones even if the transmitter (built-in or external) supports low-latency Bluetooth.

Some TVs can adjust the delay between what is seen on the screen, and the audio. 

I hope that's helpful.

ST

Villarreal
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 19, 2019

On your TV, navigate to Settings > Sound and then select Sound Output > Bluetooth Speaker List or Bluetooth Audio Device depending on your TV model. Select the Bluetooth audio device that you would like to connect to your TV and then select Pair and Connect. When the devices are done pairing, select OK.

Nata Harli
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 17, 2019

Thank you for the information.