Bose Extra-Large Ear Tip Test July - August 2018

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bose Extra-Large Ear Tip Test July - August 2018

Bose Extra-Large Ear Tip Test

Thank you for the feedback about Hearphones™. We are running a test to understand how many Hearphones™ clients need extra-large (XL) ear tips and your experiences with them. If you would like to participate in the test, please read the notes below.

Who

• New and existing Hearphones™ clients are invited to participate in the test.

When

• The test will run until the end of August or while supplies last.

Where

Price

• No charge

How 

• Please visit a Bose retail store to try a pair of XL tips and if suitable you can take them with you. Please call ahead to make sure we will be ready for you.
    OR
  • Call Bose Hear Support 1-800-761-2673.
  • We will ask you for contact information so you can tell us about your experience with the XL tips.

Participation

• We would like to get your feedback about your experience using the XL tips and you should expect to hear from Bose a few weeks after you get them.

Frequently Asked Questions

• Why are extra small ear tips not a part of this test?
    • Based on customer feedback, there appears to be a larger need for XL tips than XS tips. We will continue to monitor feedback and reevaluate our selection of tip sizes as needed.
  • Can I use the XL tips with other Bose products?
    • The XL ear tips are available to Hearphones™ customers only.
  • If you need more information please visit a Bose retail store or call Bose Hear Support 1-800-761-2673.

Thank you,

ST

7 REPLIES
Wistful Whiz

Re: Bose Extra-Large Ear Tip Test July - August 2018

@ST wrote:
Bose Extra-Large Ear Tip Test

• Can I use the XL tips with other Bose products?
    • The XL ear tips are available to Hearphones™ customers only.

I purchased a set of XL ear tips for my IE ear buds. The ear tips were for newer IE buds and weren’t necessarily rated for my older IE sets. The fit was great but I found the  bass heavy and overall sound muted. I concluded that these ear tips are very product version centric and can only be used for the product they are designed for. Full marks for fit though.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Everybody!

Has anyone tried out the Extra-Large ear tips?

How are they working for you?

ST

Friendly Fanatic

Hey @ST - are the XL tips still available? I find the large the best fit of the three included sizes, but suspect the XL might work better; Id like the opportunity to give them a try, anyway, if possible.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Barefoot Mike,

Thanks for asking. I'm sorry, the Extra-Large ear tips are no longer available.

ST

Wistful Whiz

@Barefoot Mike wrote:

Hey @ST - are the XL tips still available? I find the large the best fit of the three included sizes, but suspect the XL might work better; Id like the opportunity to give them a try, anyway, if possible.

I tested the XL tips and found they were comfortable but they were a little bassy on my IE corded buds. As well I beleive these ear tips have to be matched with the corresponding speaker buds they are designed for. 

Friendly Fanatic

@rickatk wrote:

I tested the XL tips and found they were comfortable but they were a little bassy on my IE corded buds. As well I beleive these ear tips have to be matched with the corresponding speaker buds they are designed for. 

Interesting. I'd attribute more bass to the fact that it was making a better seal, assuming the highs were still adequate. If, however, what you were really experiencing was muffled highs (which many people describe as "too bassy") then it's possible that either the fit on the earpones or in your ear was at least partially blocking the clear passage of sound from the transducer ("speaker") through to your ear canal.

Unless the other earphones were designed to use ported eartips - did the original tips of the other ones have an extra hole somewhere, besides the ear hole and the hole where they attach to the earphone?

I've noticed the bass response of the Hearphones is less dependent on the quality of the seal than in-ear models. While Bose (and a few other manufacturers) are now using this type of tip, which seals at the opening of the ear canal, this is my first experience with this style tip. I am more accustomed to the in-ear type, where the seal is rairly critical to obtaining good low-frequency response. 

I find the "Stay Hear" style tips to be much more comfortable for long-term wear than the inside-the-ear kind. The Bose tips maintain an adequate seal to prevent feedback without the pressure and fatigue of conventional IEMs

Wistful Whiz

> If, however, what you were really experiencing was muffled highs (which many people describe as "too bassy") then it's possible that either the fit on the earpones or in your ear was at least partially blocking the clear passage of sound from the transducer ("speaker") through to your ear canal.

Yes by a little bassy I feel they sounded muffled. Great fit, seated well in my ear, but surprisingly not as good sound as the original “L” ear piece that came with the IE buds.

There is no additional port / vent. I will say that the fit is very snug(not tight) but comfortably snug and lacking an extra port may indeed be trapping air causing, sonic inefficiencies. I didnt use the XLs for very long fearing they were designed for another Bose product. 

I have listened to a variety of iPod ear buds, including the new wireless ones and I find the older Bose IE model, with the original ear pieces, to sound crisp, clear and bassy. Not muffled in any way. I still use IE version 1 wired buds. They are approx 8 years old and still sound great!