Highlighted
somlat
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 16, 2019

Confused about settings for hearphones

What is the suggested World Volume for typical hear loss?  Should I keep going higher until I hear a high-pitched whine and then back down?.  How does noise canceling work?   Wouldn't reducing the World Volume also reduce your ability to hear the sound you want?    Most people with hearing loss

have more loss in higher ranges.  Does this mean you should make the treble higher?

3 REPLIES 3
Ellen C
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 2, 2019

Re: Confused about settings for hearphones

My hearing loss is pretty typical. What works very well for me is using my Hearphones in noisy places, like restaurants. I put World Volume at whatever level I need, and pick the narrowest directivity. This makes the noise canceling work on all the background noise, but lets me hear the person I'm talking to very clearly. I don't have a specific level I use for World Volume, it really depends on the environment.

I do have more hearing loss in higher ranges, but haven't found that I need to increase the treble to compensate for that, in regular use. I mostly use that when listening to music.

You really just need to experiment and see what works for you. Having had my Hearphones for about 8 months now, I've found that I use them differently than I expected to when I bought them. But they're great - I wouldn't be without them.

Hope that helps.

Community Manager

Hi, Ellen C.

Thanks for joining the conversation and for your friendly and helpful thoughts.

Cheers!

ST

Community Manager

Hi, somlat.

Welcome to the Bose Hear Community.  

Bose Hearphones are not hearing aids, and we don't recommend them for medical conditions like hearing loss. Bose Hearphones are conversation-enhancing headphones that are specially designed to help you hear in louder environments. We want to help you hear every word of your conversations.

You wrote: "Should I keep going higher until I hear a high-pitched whine and then back down? "

You can use the WORLD VOLUME and DIRECTIVITY to suit different situations and environments. 

"How does noise canceling work?   Wouldn't reducing the World Volume also reduce your ability to hear the sound you want?    Most people with hearing loss have more loss in higher ranges.  Does this mean you should make the treble higher?"

Here is how Bose Acoustic Noise Cancelling™ technology and World Volume work in your Bose Hearphones.

Noise Cancelling

Noise Cancelling is always lowering the level of the environment (similar to the Bose NC700, QC35, QC30 when you have the noise cancelling set to maximum). We do not reduce the noise cancelling as you change the World Volume.  It is always 100%.

World Volume controls how much and in what manner you add part of the world back in.

At World Volume 0 and below, we try to keep the world sounding as natural as possible. As you turn up above World Volume 0 we start trading off naturalness to maximize speech intelligibility and comfort.

World Volume

World Volume is the primary controller for Bose Hearphones. Just like the volume setting on the phone controls the loudness of your music, podcast and phone calls, the World Volume setting controls the loudness of live voices, TV and other environmental sounds. You can adjust the World Volume so that it’s just right for you and for each place you use them.

• Above “0,” the Bose Hearphones will amplify the environment in a special way: Quiet sounds are amplified more than loud sounds so that all sounds can be heard, but none are uncomfortable. This is helpful when you need to hear conversations in acoustically challenging environments.

• At “0,” the environment will sound as loud as it would if the Bose Hearphones weren’t worn.

• Below “0,” the Bose Hearphones will reduce sounds in the environment. This is useful so you can escape loud environmental sounds and either focus on your Bluetooth audio or just enjoy the quiet.

The World Volume can be adjusted on the device or using the app. All World Volume settings use Bose Acoustic Noise Cancelling™ technology.

Does that help?

ST