Highlighted
mugpunter64
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 6, 2020

Conversation enhancing hearphones boosting all sounds except conversation

I have just bought a set of 'conversation enhancing' hearphones and cannot seem to get them to enhance conversation.

There seems to be no way to raise the volume as the volume up/down buttons only work streaming video/music etc from a phone. The only other way to raise the volume seems to be the "world volume" button which starts boosting background noise instead of conversation/voice frequencies. Once "world volume" is raised the  Bass/Treble slider will then only reduce some background noises in either the bass or the treble but not both ( and not very efficiently in either). 

The directivity also seems to lower the quality of conversation rather than enhance it. Conversation with someone in front of me is clearer with directivity set to 'everywhere' rather than 'front' or 'focused'.

Hoping you can give me solutions

thankyou

3 REPLIES 3
Community Manager

Re: Conversation enhancing hearphones boosting all sounds except conversation

Hi, mugpunter64.

Thank you for joining the Bose Hear Community.

@mugpunter64 wrote:

I have just bought a set of 'conversation enhancing' hearphones and cannot seem to get them to enhance conversation.

There seems to be no way to raise the volume as the volume up/down buttons only work streaming video/music etc from a phone.

Yes, the large volume buttons control the Bluetooth audio (streaming video/music from the phone).

@mugpunter64 wrote:

The only other way to raise the volume seems to be the "world volume" button which starts boosting background noise instead of conversation/voice frequencies.

Yes.  The World Volume buttons are how you control the conversation (and similar) sounds.

Here is some more information.

Let’s start here: Noise Cancelling is always lowering the level of the environment (similar to the Bose QC30 when you have the noise canceling set to maximum). We do not reduce the noise canceling as you change the World Volume.  It is always 100%.

World Volume controls how much and in what manner you add part of the world back in.

At World Volume 0 and below we try to keep the world sounding as natural as possible. As you turn up above World Volume 0 we start trading off naturalness to maximize speech intelligibility and comfort.

What follows is what we’ve previously said about World Volume.

World Volume is the primary controller for Bose Hearphones. Just like the volume setting on the phone controls the loudness of the customer’s music, podcast and phone calls, the World Volume setting controls the loudness of live voices, TV and other environmental sounds. Each customer adjusts the World Volume so that it’s just right for them and for each place they are.

• Above “0,” the Bose Hearphones will amplify the environment in a special way: Quiet sounds are amplified more than loud sounds so that all sounds can be heard, but none are uncomfortable. This is helpful when the customer needs to hear a conversation in acoustically challenging environments.

• At “0,” the environment will sound as loud as it would if the Bose Hearphones weren’t worn.

• Below “0,” the Bose Hearphones will reduce sounds in the environment. This is useful so that the customer can escape loud environmental sounds and either focus on their smartphone content or just enjoy the quiet.

The World Volume can be adjusted on the device or using the app. All World Volume settings use Bose Acoustic Noise Cancelling™ technology.

Once "world volume" is raised the  Bass/Treble slider will then only reduce some background noises in either the bass or the treble but not both ( and not very efficiently in either).

As you move the Bass/Treble slide toward Treble, it both increases the treble and decreases the bass. As you move it toward bass, it increases bass and decreases treble. When you want to increase both, use the World Volume buttons.

The directivity also seems to lower the quality of conversation rather than enhance it. Conversation with someone in front of me is clearer with directivity set to 'everywhere' rather than 'front' or 'focused'.

If there is background noise behind the person with whom you are speaking, the background noise will also be amplified as you turn up the World Volume.

Are you using the Bose Hear app or relying on the tones to tell which Directivity setting you are hearing? I found it was easier to understand what was happening when I looked at the Bose Hear app Directivity symbol (bottom center of the app).

It sounds like your experience is opposite to what is intended. Please give us a call so we can walk through how your Bose Hearphones should work and determine if there is something wrong with the unit you received.  Bose Hearphones Support - 1 800-761-2673.

Thank you!

ST

mugpunter64
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 6, 2020

I have owned other noise cancelling headphones and I can detect no noise cancellation effect using the hear phones ( nor directional effect) so I suspect it is a faulty unit.

I live in Australia where the Hearphones are currently unavailable and am wondering if you have an Australian phone number for support ?( and if so are they able to advise on a product not sold here?)

Thankyou

Community Manager

Hi, mugpunter64.

@mugpunter64 wrote:

I have owned other noise cancelling headphones and I can detect no noise cancellation effect using the hear phones ( nor directional effect) so I suspect it is a faulty unit.

I live in Australia where the Hearphones are currently unavailable and am wondering if you have an Australian phone number for support ?( and if so are they able to advise on a product not sold here?)

Thankyou

If you can't detect any noise cancelling, the unit may be faulty, or the StayHear+ ear tips are not seated properly. 

We have one dedicated hotline for Bose Hearphones support. Bose Hearphones are only sold and supported in the US.  You must have a US based shipping address to receive repaired or replacement products.  Bose in Australia can't help.

The number may work to get you through to our Hearphones team.

Bose Hearphones Support - 01 800-761-2673. 

Please try the number and let me know if that works for you.

Thank you,

ST