Dynamic Range

Highlighted
Wistful Whisperer

Dynamic Range

I hear severe distortion with loud sounds before I use the Hearphones.  Hearing test agree with this. So I really hear distortion when I use them and have the world volume boosting the level to compensate for my overall hearing loss and then the Treble/Bass at +8 to 12 to increase the vocal  sibilance. I have trouble when forks and spoons clank on plates, dishes hit the sink, garage tools...anything with lots of high frequency energy. These are all severely distorted to my ears (just me, not the Bose). So can you give me a more aggressive peak limiter, particularly for higher frequencies to limit the dynamic range of the sound coming into my ears? It probably should be on an advanced control page ...with a variable control... because  maybe not everyone needs this. Maybe the same page that others are asking for that has a graphic eq! Several bands of graphic eq could help me as well. Now when I adjust the Bass/Treble for an increase of vocal sibilance I seem to reduce the bass response. This is ok for normal life but not for listening to live music or TV...I want the bass too! Anyway, thanks for giving me a tool to help my hearing, now I just want more Smiley Happy

3 REPLIES
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Dynamic Range

Hi JerryN,

Thanks again for contributing to our community.

I appreciate the care and detail in your descriptions

I have copied your note into the Feature Requests discussion.

A more aggressive peak-limiter:

We did this in a firmware update last year.  Have you updated your firmware since you got your Hearphones? The latest version is 1.6.5

The fastest way to check is to visit http://btu.bose.com with a PC or a Mac computer.  Then follow the prompts on the screen.

If you are using the Bose Hear app, it should have automatically applied the latest firmware. You can check in the App.

Tap the menu at the top left (3 horizontal bars)

Tap Settings

Tap Product Info

See Firmware Version

What version do you have?

ST

Wistful Whisperer

My Hearphones are at ver 1.6.5

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi JerryN,

Thanks for checking. Yes, your firmware is up to date.

To deal with loud noises, you'll have to turn down the World Volume a bit.  I have to do that occasionally.  I've made note of your other comments in the Feature Requests

discussion.

Thank you,

ST