Extremely Loud Screech at random times during phone call

Quiet Contributor

Extremely Loud Screech at random times during phone call

Hi,

I am using the Bose Hearphones since around 1.5 months now and have had this issue multiple times (from once in 2-3 days to many times in a single call). I hear a loud screening/beeping sound while on the call. This happens mostly during phone calls (either a normal GSM call or a Internet call like over WhatsApp or Microsoft Teams). When this happens, I am totally blocked from hearing the other party by a loud screech sound which I fear may even damage my ears. The party on the other side however is totally unaware of this as they do not get any feedback and they just continue to speak. I have to change the call mode from bluetooth to speaker and then again to bluetooth to get talking again. This is extermely frustrating. For reference I am using a Redmi Note 5 Pro phone in India on which I am facing this problem. I bought the Bose hearphone device from US when I was visiting there. I wanted to know if this is a known problem and if there is a known resolution to it? Other than this, I am loving my Bose Hearphone device. Please let me know what could possibly be the resolution of this annoying and possibly ear damaging behavior.

9 REPLIES 9
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Extremely Loud Screech at random times during phone call

Hi vikingsunil,

Thank you for joining the Bose Hear Community.  I'm sorry you are having a problem with random loud screech sounds during phone calls. That does sound annoying.

If you are concerned about damaging your ears, please do not use your Bose Hearphones for Bluetooth telephony with your Redmi Note 5 Pro phone. This is not a known problem.

If you are not experiencing problems with streaming music over Bluetooth, the Bose Hearphones are probably fine. But we don't want you to have this unpleasant experience.

Here are a few things you can try (please follow the links)

Clearing the headphone pairing list

then

Pair your Bluetooth device

Looking ahead: Bose Hearphones are sold in the US, and we can only offer support for replacement or repair if you have a US shipping address.  Do you have a US shipping address? 

ST

Silent Starter

Hello,

I am having the same exact problem, my phone is an iPhone XR.  This only happens when on a phone call, never when listening to music or other uses.  It was happening infrequently and now it happens every day so I can no longer use them for calls.

It seems this 'known' issue is not limited to a Redmi Note 5 Pro.  Is there a list of which phones are affected by this problem? Is a solution on the way? It is a very serious problem, as the first poster stated, it is EXTREMELY loud.

Thanks in advance for any additional information.

Rob

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rob,

Thank you for joining the Bose Hear Community.

I'm sorry you are experiencing this loud screech when you are on a phone call. I checked when vikingsunil posted his comments above. This isn't a known issue but it's important that we get things straightened out for you.

Please call Bose Hearphones Support - 1 800-761-2673 so we can help.

Thank you,

ST

Quiet Contributor

Hi @ST ,

Do we have any resolution to this yet? Yesterday I experienced the same problem for the first time on a Microsoft Teams call I joined through my Windows 10 PC so it is definitely not an issue with the phone call alone. Also, of late, I am observing certain high picthed cracklings while being on the phone calls and I think this is a related issue.

I can send the device over to US for return / replacement through a friend who is travelling in the month of July. Can you please let me know how long is the replacement/return possible after the purchase and what all would it require for the return/replacement?

Thanks

Sunil

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sunil,

I'm sorry. I don't have information about how long it takes to handle returns. 

Please contact Bose Hearphones Support - 1 800-761-2673 and they can work with you.  Telephone support for Bose Hearphones is only available through the US 800 number. If you can't access that from where you are, you can write to support@bose.com and be sure to put Bose Hearphones in the subject line. 

Thank you,

ST

Quiet Contributor

I finally got the hearphone device replaced from the same original store I bought it first in the US. I got it two weeks back in India and it was working fine up unitil today when I again experienced the same problem. I was on an office meeting call joined through Microsoft Teams on my Redmi Note 5 pro phone and I suddently experienced the loud continuous screech/whistle sound cutting me off immediately from the ongoing conversation. I had to switch bluetooth off and again on to get back to call on my phone. I am hence guessing this is not a device specific issue but rather a product issue. Please can you get someone to look into it on an urgent basis?

I noticed some high pitched crackling sounds while being on this call before suddenly one of those crackling turned into the loud screech. This is the exact same behavior that I used to observe with my previous hearphone set that I got replaced. I am strongly hoping that the root cause of this issue is found quickly and resolved through a software update (hopefully this is a software issue). Please let me know meanwhile what are my alternatives of getting this resolved?

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi vikingsunil,

I'm sorry the problem with the loud screech while on a Microsoft Teams call has resurfaced. The baffling part is the things were fine for two weeks. There are so many variables in this situation. Please contact Bose Hearphones Support - 001 800-761-2673 and they can work with you to get into some detailed troubleshooting.

Thank you,

ST 

Silent Starter

I too have been experiencing this very obnoxious screeching sound in my Hearphones; this has happened on several occasions now, during phone calls. I have to hang up, switch off Bluetooth, back on and call back said party. I’ve had Hearphones about 7 mo.

Do I understand this is cause for replacement?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi ScoobypadBev,

Thank you for joining the Bose Hear Community. I'm sorry you are experiencing this loud screech during phone calls. That shouldn't happen.

Please call us and we'll work with you to solve the problem. 

Bose Hearphones Support - 1 800-761-2673.

Thank you,

ST