dtc
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 5, 2019

Re: Feature Requests and Suggestions for Improvements

Thank you for creating this product. I have had my hearphones for just over a month, I use them every day, and I find them very helpful.  What I would like to see different:

When I use the hearphones while the TV is on I use the mute button before and after most commercials. The mute button, the button I use the most, is this teeny tiny smallest button in the app button. The mute button should be the same size as the balance, directivity, and modes buttons. You could put it above the directivity button.

So far I have created four modes, but when I touch the modes button I see the supplied four modes and only one of my created modes.  I have to swipe up to see the mode I use the most. The buttons for the supplied modes could be much smaller than they are. Then the user created modes would be more readily available.

The user created modes are displayed in the order they were created; not alphabetically, not by the most used, not rearrangeable.  Pick one, any of the three would be better than the current display method. 

Please have battery(s) that last for 20 hours, because I want to be able to use my hearphones for 16 to 18 hours without running the battery down to zero power.

It seems to me that the USB cover is just not going to stay attached to the hearphones for long.

Sauerjc65
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 18, 2019

Re: Feature Requests

Battery life and charging while using are two features holding me back from purchase. Outside of 16-20 hr battery life, the ability to use while charging from a small usb power bank is a necessity, especially when actual battery life is < 12 hrs in most cases, and substantially less depending on features used. 

Sauerjc65
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 18, 2019

USB-C would resolve the directionality of the charge cable as well as introduce the possibility of a quick charge feature.

davidc1
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 31, 2017

@Sauerjc65 wrote:

Battery life and charging while using are two features holding me back from purchase. Outside of 16-20 hr battery life, the ability to use while charging from a small usb power bank is a necessity, especially when actual battery life is < 12 hrs in most cases, and substantially less depending on features used. 

YES!!! This is probably one of the most important, but overlooked feature there is. So many rechargeable headphones/earbuds out there do not have this capacity. So, if you are out and about, and the unit is low on power, you can't charge it while using it. How frustrating is that? What's really frustrating is all it is is an engineering design MISTAKE by an engineer who overlooked it. Many people don't need this as they have a daily routine where they may use the unit for just a few hours then return home and plug it in for charging. Or, there are many people who run into this issue, but just accept it without even realizing it's a design flaw, and therefore don't complain. The classic "you don't know what you're missing until you see it". Which means the manufacturer never changes it. This is an absolute necessity for me as my day may be 12 hrs long, and I need the product to be able to be charged while I'm driving, or just via a small battery in my pocket. LG has a reputation for not doing this. Bose doesn't either in any of their products. JBL does it about half their products. Phiaton does it in all but one, and when I talked to the engineer about the one that doesn't, they admitted it was an oversite. This is an ABSOLUTE DEAL BREAKER feature for me. It's a shame that the designers overlook this.
davidc1
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 31, 2017

Second most important DEALBREAKER feature.....You, Bose, are the king of ANC, Active Noise Cancellation. In the earbuds/cups for the wearer. BUT, you are the WORST at Active Noise Cancellation in the microphone, for the people I am talking too!! What good is using a unit in a noisy environment, a crowd, in a noisy car, if I can hear fine, but the party I am talking too can't hear me? Another thing Bose that you are overlooking. We've had excellent ANC for the mics in phones for years. Does anybody remember earlier cell phones were you couldn't talk to somebody in a noisy environment because they couldn't hear you? When Bose came out wit their first ANC earbuds, I asked them why they didn't include this as I wanted to use them while driving to make phone calls. The CSR told me I shouldn't be talking on the phone while driving anyway. Seriously?!
JJHavard
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 26, 2019

I'd like the "gold" screens over the microphones to black thereby drawing less attention to the earpieces. What's the best way to get this accomplished?

richardberryhill
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 1, 2017

Do NOT paint them! Whether lacquer or enamel, paint is thick and block the tiny holes needed for the microphones that make Hearphones work. You might try-and this would undoubtedly void your warranty if it harmed them-using one of the many very, very small, black, permanent felt tip markers and delicately painting them black. Marker colors are usually a very, very thin colorant so if you are careful, you might be able to paint them without blocking any of the holes. But maybe not, too. 

Since the layer of color is so thin, black marker will have very little resistance to wearing off or being scratched, making them look uglier and more noticeable than when you started. 

That said, I'm in favor of a black colored front mic cover so they are not so noticeable.

Good luck, but don't be surprised if you do not  like the result or if you damage the Hearphones. 

ednisley
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 15, 2019

I bought my Hearphones in late August 2017, so they're just shy of two years old [1]. I use them pretty nearly every day, because I depend on them to bring voices out of the mush.

Unfortunately, even though the electronics work as well as ever, the hardware has begun disintegrating.

The soft silicone cover is delaminating from the neck ring:

dsc00242 - Bose Hearphones - detached band cover.jpgDelaminating neck band cover

The cover over the media control buttons broke loose:

dsc00243 - Bose Hearphones - failed control cover.jpgDetached control pod cover

And the silicone strain relief tubes fell off the earpieces:

IMG_20190513_190929 - Bose Hearphones - ear piece strain relief.jpgDangling earpiece strain relief

My hack-job fixes definitely don't win any design awards:dsc00246 - Bose Hearphones - cosmetic repairs.jpgHack-job mechanical repairs

The battery life has dropped from "barely adequate" to "range anxiety", as you'd expect for a lithium cell cycled a few hundred times. I expect to replace the non-replaceable cell within the next year, which will surely require peeling off whatever remains of the silicone covering.

At least the Hearphones still work, but, frankly, I expected five hundred bucks to buy a whole lot more durability, even in the fast-churn consumer-electronics market.

Color me satisfied, with a stripe of discontent …

[1] And therefore out of warranty, of course.

debihanuscin
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 28, 2019

I would love a feature to help folks like me with single sided deafness- being able to pick up sounds in both mics but broadcast in mono to my good ear would be life changing... Perhaps this is already possible?
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi ednisley,

Thank you for joining the Bose Hear Community and thank you for sharing your inventive solution.

I'm sorry, I missed your post.

Even though you purchased your Bose Hearphones some time ago, please call Bose Hearphones Support - 1 800-761-2673. We can help.

Thank you,

ST